Urgent; Broke the Shift Rod (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent; Broke the Shift Rod (I think)

Changed the Impeller today and I was pulling out the lower unit hard since it was stuck (did disconnect the speedo tube) suddenly it came off but the shift rod on the lower unit had the metal tube on it. I do remember that that tube used to be left on the upper part of the shift rod (not the LU) and were the lower unit shift stick needed to slide into. I can now manually slide the tube on the upper stick but it needs to be kept in place while installing the LU. Is this something that can be fixed or do I need parts and in that case what parts (the whole shift rod?)

Joe

Sorry forgot to mention the engine...Yamaha F115 AETL, 2002

Comment

If you look in the controls section of the parts catalog it shows an o'ring on the bottom of the tube of the shift rod. whether that plays a factor in retaining the tube on the shaft i'm not sure but it may, if not then a slight coating of marine grease on the splines of the tube may be just enough to hold it in place until you get the lower unit back on.

Comment

Thanks Guys, will try it now. It seems that I managed to move the shiftstick in gear as well. I tried all day yesterday to get the lower unit back in the last two inches with no luck. Will try to rotate the shift rod today.

Comment

ive always found it easiest to tilt up fully to take some of the weight off of you....and personally put shifter and lower unit in neutral. Keep in mind you also need to line up the water tube.

Comment

Working...
          X