Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Stroke Oil - What effects by using a lesser grade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Stroke Oil - What effects by using a lesser grade?

So I was at West Marine today, and notice that they had 3 variations of West Marine 2 Stroke Oil.

I normally just buy the least expensive one with TCW3. The other 2 are Ultra and DFI (Direct Fuel Injection).

The prices goes up by about $5 per gallon for each "upgrade"

The Yamalube is about $30 per gallon. About $10/gallon more than most expensive West Marine brand (DFI).

So my question is - does it really matter? Does anyone have any significant information that back up use, other than manufacturer suggests using Yamalube.

Any mechanics who have examined pistons based on one use or another?

I have 1999 twin 250's

Ed

In my experience previous owner of my Whaler w/ 92 Yam 40 Precision Blend used cheapest oil. I switched to Yamalube and performance improvement was very significant. THe stuff smells like rocket fuel, gotta be good for the motor.

good luck

Comment

Thanks for the reply - can you elaborate on performance improvement being significant? In what way?

Ed

Comment

Find another way to get the Yamalube and use it.
        2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
        Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

It starts easier, runs better, goes faster - it just works. I believe besides providing necessary lubrication it enhances combustion. I have no problem paying a bit more. Local dealer refills your Yamalube gallon jugs from bulk tank - can't recall price but low, low. I's certainly ask around about that. I don't recall $30/gallon but always expect to pay more at West Marine except clearance pricing can be great.

Comment

HI, think real hard before you use cheap oil Remember this, whether it be for your car, truck , lawn mower, and especially your expensive outboard motor "the most expensive thing you could use in your motor is cheap oil".
            Dennis

Comment

Working...
            X