prop and spark plug question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop and spark plug question

Performed maintenance to my 25hp 2 stroke Yamy over the weekend and have a couple questions for the gurus. Replaced the spark plugs but did not have a torque wrench. So, I tightened them 1/4 turn past finger tight. Is this adequate? The engine started so I am assuming it is. Also, I inspected the prop shaft and all was ok...however, when putting the prop back on I wasn't sure which way the thrust washer went back on. I put it on so that it fit firmly against the seal. How do you know which way is correct? In addition, is it normal for the prop not to easily slide back on? I had to knock it back into place with a block of wood and a hammer. I also screwed the prop nut back on a 1/4-1/2 turn past finger tight...is this adequate? Sorry for the novice questions but I am new to this. Thanks in advance!

The back thrust washer has a taper that fits onto taper of prop shaft and the other side of thrust washer is machined to fit inside hole on prop. You should clean and regrease splines on prop shaft to make it go on and come off easier, it should just slide on. The way you tightened is ok.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The prop shaft was well greased when sliding it on. Sounded like it was hitting metal about 2/3 of the way on. Any ideas?

Comment

The prop shaft was well greased when sliding it on. Sounded like it was hitting metal about 2/3 of the way on. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
        X