No announcement yet.

Big ass prop and Milling Machine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be a brave man or woman to waterski behind. The turbulence would probably pull you off, and in any case if you fell off you won't come up for a while.
    Interesting how the envelope shifts. Yachties would tell you a formula that a displacement boat speed is limited by a number of things the important one being the ratio width to length, and off the top of my head, sailboats could not do 20 knots without planning. But of course they can now do more, and these cargo ships - the sky might be the limit. We will see hydrofoils. Imagine the engineering required to get the strength required. There is no match for the momentum they have, so if there is a collision imagine the "atomic bomb" like explosion!

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      Probably fast enough to fold the hull. Navy engineer once told me aircraft carriers could go much faster than they do. The worry is that the hull will fail from pressure at some point.
      Used to work for a company that made the engines for the Nuc Carriers.
      I was told that when they put their foot down, they would throw a rooster tail over 130' in the air. I doubt they would design the hull to not take the thrust of the engines and allow the hull to fold.
      I do know that when they wanted speed, there was nothing in the fleet could keep up, not even the subs. That's why the carriers always chose a zig-zag course, so everyone else could stay with them.
      2002 KW 1720

Comment

Sounds pretty dumb to me, why didn't they just slow down rather than zig zag? the rest of the fleet all arrive at the same time! seems stupid to go fast but zig zag to make the same time, but then, lots of US Navy ships have crashed into other ships, so maybe they are not that bright? or maybe whoever told you that is full of shit?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheff 69 View Post
          Used to work for a company that made the engines for the Nuc Carriers.
          I was told that when they put their foot down, they would throw a rooster tail over 130' in the air. I doubt they would design the hull to not take the thrust of the engines and allow the hull to fold.
          I do know that when they wanted speed, there was nothing in the fleet could keep up, not even the subs. That's why the carriers always chose a zig-zag course, so everyone else could stay with them.
          What company made the engines?

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
            Sounds pretty dumb to me, why didn't they just slow down rather than zig zag? the rest of the fleet all arrive at the same time! seems stupid to go fast but zig zag to make the same time, but then, lots of US Navy ships have crashed into other ships, so maybe they are not that bright? or maybe whoever told you that is full of shit?
            Good humor this morning!

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
              I always thought it was just harder to hit if zig zagging, if they were in fact zig zagging in the 1st place

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                I always thought it was just harder to hit if zig zagging, if they were in fact zig zagging in the 1st place
                Think that was WWII protocol. When torpedoes had to actually be aimed. Now torpedos are "smart". Turn all you want, it will chase you down at 40+ knots.

If there is ever another large scale naval war, it gonna get ugly real fast. Missiles, etc.

Comment

yea. I would not want to be on something out in the middle of an ocean when all of that came down.
                  not much to aim at out there but you, so how could they miss with modern technology

Comment

Working...
                  X