No announcement yet.

gearcase drain plug leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what a nice boat! Who ever built that is certainly a craftsman. My father, grandfather, great grandfather all built wooden boats..from punts to small schooners.My cousin has built 17 boats so far.. I love the feel of a wood boat in rough weather...a lot more solid under your feet. Not many building wood boats anymore.

Comment

Definitely a very neat boat!!
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

leaky drain plug

Thanks all for the nice comments on the boat. It was built (not by me) off of
        Nexus Marine (Seattle Wash) plans here in Florida. All I did was clean it up,
        put new trim tab cylinders on it and a few other things, sand the brightwork and give it a refresher coat on all the varnished surfaces. Nexus Marine calls it a "San Juan Dory" after the San Juan Islands up there on the Northwest coast.

Comment

Update?

Any updates Tony???

Scott

Comment

leaky drain plug

Scott,
            Took the boat back to the dealer yesterday. Over the weekend I bought
            a new Yamaha plug and new Yamaha gaskets. When I removed the original plug they had installed with the "O" ring I knew by how tight it was screwing out that it was cross threaded. the "O" ring and plug head had what appeared to be failed sealer of some sort. For the record I tried the new plug and new gasket. Screwing in the plug was just as tight going in - definitely crosse threaded. I had to try it myself. So tight you cant feel the gasket seat in the hole. With one gasket it leaked. We tried a double gasket and over a period of about 2 -3 hours the plug was collecting oil in the screwdriver slot and forming a droplet. Also measured the plug and thread pitch which worked out to be 8mm w/a 1.25 pitch. I found a 8/1.25 nut at Ace Hardware and it threaded on the original plug nicely. It also threaded nicely on a 8/1.25 tap. Yesterday morning I took the boat down and presented my findings to the service dept. I told them Yamaha wouldn't be very happy seeing a "O" ring and sealant on one of their drain plugs, demonstrated how the plug should feel going into the hole with the nut on the plug and told them they needed a "tapered" tap so it would line up with the hole and keep the tap straight. Also mentioned they should turn the tap
            a couple of turns then back it out a half turn repeatedly as they tapped out the threads. They either get a successful tap, if not re-tap for a larger plug,
            or heliicoil (which they don't wish to do) or replace the gear case casting. Ball is in their court. will let you know how it turns out. They'll probably keep it a few days.

Comment

Thanks Tony,

Sorry to hear it but that's what I thought/posted earlier.

It sucks they screwed it up to start with, but to NOT tell you, and get it out the door sucks even worse.

Pretty sad a tech can't install a simple drain plug...

As their leery on doing a heli-coil, I would check local machine shops and have them do it. Let the dealer pay for it, perhaps pull the LU if the machine shop prefers it off.

As noted earlier, It can be heli-coiled W/O issue and you'll have steel threads being much stronger than stock aluminum threads. RB posted how many threads to remove from the coil.

You don't want a machined larger screw as now you won't have an adapter to re-fill the lower unit that fits...

Per another recent post, your correct with the thread size.

I'd find another dealer if possible for future repairs or DIY, you'll know it's done right...

Plz update once your up and running..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-28-2017, 01:06 PM.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                You don't want a machined larger screw as now you won't have an adapter to re-fill the lower unit that fits...
                Actually, a not-uncommon approach for a stripped Yamaha M8 plug is to drill and tap to 3/8-16

then stop by the Mercury dealer for a plug.

The plastic lube pump will now connect directly, no adapter needed.

Comment

Fairdeal you need to step back away from the key board. You are making way too much sense to be on the inner web. Particularly on THT, where everyone but you, pstephens and I are crazy.

Comment

I have a feeling they are going to say that they are not the ones that screwed it up and refuse to repair on their dime. I hope I am wrong

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                      Actually, a not-uncommon approach for a stripped Yamaha M8 plug is to drill and tap to 3/8-16

then stop by the Mercury dealer for a plug.

The plastic lube pump will now connect directly, no adapter needed.
                      Good idea but if your still drilling and tapping, the ONLY additional thing you'd be doing is screwing in the coil which is simple.

Now you have steel threads.

I believe (might be wrong) the hole for the heli-coil tap will be slightly smaller than the 3/8" tap too.

99yam, I don't think the dealer will now try to pull that. They would have earlier when they initially had it. When they gave back the boat, there was NO mention of their fix, or that it was damaged before...

In any case, a heli-coil or new larger bolt is an easy and safe fix..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-28-2017, 04:57 PM.
                      Scott

Comment

Leaky drain plug

Its over!!! They assigned my friend - a very seasoned and very good tech to the case and he promptly chased the threads, cleaned it up and that was the end of that. The plug screwed up nice and easy and you could feel the gaskt seat on the mating surface. between a quarter and a half turn after that "Voila" a nice even seal. He then pumped 2psi into the gear case and let it sit overnight. No loss of pressure. They filled the case and its been bone dry
                        over 24 hours now.

But guys look at all the fun we've had for the past few days or so. I promise not to come up with anything else for awhile. Don't want to wear out my welcome. Thanks to all who chimed in. All good stuff. But I can't resist a
                        parting query; Has anyone ever had a problem with the fuel floats in tempo
                        portable tanks absorbing fuel and sinking to the bottom? I've had two do that. Fuel was non-ethanol, enriched with Yamaha Ring Free and some Sea Foam. Sea Foam says cant be them because its nothing more than a petroleum product. Never had that problem with only Ring Free in the gas, Tempo says its either an additive causing it or a manufacturing defect. They sent me a new float which I have yet to put in. Cheers.

Comment

Glad it's fixed!

Was your friend associated/paid by the shop or did they leave you hanging? (just curious).

As for the float, as I re-call, it's a a solid piece, correct(like a cork)?

I doubt it's fuel additive related. Most of the generators I work on
                          (with a a 5 or 6 gallon tank) have a very similar float.

Same set up, floats and spins the needle clockwise.

Most don't work (float) over time. If you could find a fuel resistant
                          sealer (float won't soak up fuel), might be worth your while.

Or simply just keep an eye on the inside of the tank..
                          Scott

Comment

is it plastic,metal, or real cork?

Comment

have them look up the pressure test specification.
                              it is a tad bit more than 2 PSI.
                              your dealing with about 4 threads.
                              cross thread it and it is usually done.

Comment

Leaky drain plug

Et Al,
                                Sorry it took so long to get back. The tech is a friend who works at the shop. Mistake they made was to give the problem back to the oil change techs rather than a skilled technician.

The float is a black composition of some sort. I haven't installed the new one yet. Need to fill the tank with fresh gas to dilute further the ring free and Sea Foam thats in there for good measure.

Test pressure on the gear case I was told was 2psi. Just checked the plug again - bone dry, Yea!!

Now thinking about converting my manual tiller/shift/electric start/trim/tilt 2010 yamaha 25 to remote control. Thats going to be fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X