gearcase drain plug leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You posted a pic...

From that pic, sure looks like the plug itself is leaking from the center..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

leaky drain plug

I think it went. see large photo above text "not getting the image moved over".

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
        You posted a pic...

From that pic, sure looks like the plug itself is leaking from the center..
        It sure does.. Fancy looking cupboards in your Garage...lol

Comment

leaky drain plug

thats kinda what my "pea brain" thought. If the magnetic plug doesn't
          arrive at the dealer by tomorrow, I'll have them install a new plain solid plug with a new gasket, making sure they follow the install instructions for the new style gasket. What an ordeal for just a simple service.

Comment

leaky drain plug

If you like the cupboards, you'll love the boat the motor is on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Sopranzi View Post
              If you like the cupboards, you'll love the boat the motor is on.
              Post a picture...you know how now.!

Comment

Ah, he's got his engine in the KITCHEN!!

Scott

Comment

Regarding the idea that the hole goes all the way through the plug. Thoughts... All manufacturers use a magnet in the drain plug and nearly all of those plugs do not have a hole - meaning, I don't think the hole is there for "venting" during the installation of the magnet. Secondly, from one of the earlier pictures that were posted, it appears the depth of the hole is very shallow - it even looks like you can see bottom of the hole as it looks like you can see where the drill stopped drilling. You know how when you stop drilling, the bottom of the hole is "angled" to match the drill bit?

Have you tried putting a screwdriver on it yet and "feeling" how secure it feels?

Because of the angle that the plug is at under the gearcase, it is quite possible for oil to leak out from around the plug head, start to collect at the bottom of the plug head, but also wick it's way slightly uphill as the oil collects, before eventually dripping off.

Clean the area VERY well and then closely observe it. It shouldn't be hard to figure out where the leak is coming from.

I mean this in a fun way so please don't take offense... Holy crap, we have nearly 70 posts about an easy to identify leak source!
                  2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                  1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

leaky drain plug

I know - its so funny - 5 pages now. Must be a record lol. Lots of very good
                    analysis though. I too thought perhaps it was wicking from the raised end of
                    the screwdriver slot and collecting at the hole. Good possibility. Soooo,
                    under very close scrutiny (laying on my back armed with a halogen flashlight, Q-Tip, paper towel and a very small thin bladed slot driver, I was able to determine that there is no oil in the upper end of the slot. There is some oil residue on the lower end of the slot. There is no relief hole through
                    the top of the screw head down into the magnet cavity. The screw head is
                    not centered in the hole - its offset high and to the upper right of the hole looking at it head on (laying on my back). There is oil between the screw head and case on the upper right and its flowing down to the bottom of the case hole. There is no longer a droplet on the screw head. moving around clockwise there is more space at the bottom and lower left between the screw head and case hole then the gap tapers off as it nears the top of the case hole I didn't see an oil concentration on the upper left of the screw head. Looks like most if not all of it is on the upper right draining down the case hole to the bottom and out. The sage who suggested the oil may be migrating up the screw driver slot and draining from the center hole is closest to the truth. I think as the oil accumulated on the right side it found
                    a path in the screw driver slot and the pressure from the leaking oil just pushed it up the slot to the hole and out.
                    I would think the cases would be drilled in a jig so that the screw plug would be centered in the hole. If thats the case, this plug is apparently fitted in there at an angle. Will confer with the dealer tomorrow. I'm not fond of
                    helicoils, but I'm afraid thats where he'll want to go rather than eat a new gear case.

Comment

Simple, pull the plug, inspect threads, surfaces, plug...

If they buggered up the threads, you can always yank the LU and bring it to a machine shop. I don't think I would trust them for this repair IF the tech cross threaded a simple drain screw.

I wouldn't hesitate using a heli-coil BUT getting the angle correct (perpendicular) is super important..

*I would think, in the machining process at the factory, that hole and threads
                      are all cut/machined at the same time.
                      Scott

Comment

Boat leaky gear case is on

16' Dory - enjoy the photos.

[rl=https://postimg.org/image/d6nbc991r/][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Sopranzi View Post
                          I would think the cases would be drilled in a jig so that the screw plug would be centered in the hole. If thats the case, this plug is apparently fitted in there at an angle. Will confer with the dealer tomorrow. I'm not fond of
                          helicoils,
                          but I'm afraid thats where he'll want to go rather than eat a new gear case.
                          Why not? Some Yams come with them already installed. Many engine makers use them in production, particularly when soft materials such as aluminium are being used.

Comment

That garage looks better than my living room.

Comment

That's a pretty Dory. My mother, now 70, tells me stories of being a kid and using a Dory to get from one place to another up on the coast of Maine (her, her 4 brothers and parents). I've seen old pictures of their Dory... it never looked like that! It got them where they needed to go, though!
                              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Oh my gosh!!!! I'd be afraid to move that out of the garage!!!!
                                Dennis
                                Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Working...
                                X