No announcement yet.

F20 startup issue +video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could the chemical carb cleaner have attacked the o ring on the seat?( if it has one)

hard to tell when the parts break down does not even show the seat

Comment

Those silicone "rubber" parts seem to be indestructible. Unless you torch them.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
        Those silicone "rubber" parts seem to be indestructible. Unless you torch them.
        He's got a rubber tipped (or similar) needle so the seat is very likely brass.

Why it moved (if in-deed it did) is the $100 question...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I'm thinking Moto X previous owner dinked with it. You know how them Moto X guys are.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            Technically, you SHOULD NOT have been able to push the seat in further..

That seat SHOULD bottom out in the carb housing... Is it fitting snug in the body??

Is the float (seam) NOW about parallel with the carb body?? (as if you adjusted with the mounting screw like before)

How it moved is beyond me...

*If Yamaha wanted/allowed any adjustment, it would have been engineered into the FLOAT itself (usually a metal tab)...
            But no, the seam is not paralell to the carb housing. It is now lower in the end opposite of pivot/needle. I measured it, struck it with a hex-nut on top, then measured again and it had seated down 1 mm (of the 2mm, so half) and I didn't dare to strike it again. My guess is that it moves from temperature, I use the motor even now when we have below freezing. The o-ring allows for the travel when freezing and warming (Only my guess.)

Comment

Originally posted by merc200dalarna View Post
              Hell, I took a gamble and pushed the seat in about 1 mm. The pivot pin and the screw are flush now, the screw is tightened. (unfortunately the float isn't according to spec, but I will have to go with it and hope it works)
              As long as the float is "close" to being Parallel to the surface where the carb bowl mates it will be fine. Don't get caught up to much with the measurement in the Service manual.

Like Scott said they usually are pushed in until they bottom out in the bore.

Now will it stay put...that would be my concern.

I bet it will run just fine now.

I am sure you will let us know...go catch some fish!!

Comment

I'm thinking Moto X previous owner dinked with it. You know how them Moto X guys are.
                Quite possible, since had 2 cars and one snowmobile for sale at the same time he sold me the outboard. He seemed like the type that tinkers with everything motorized. I'm sure you know the type, those who never seem to be able to wash the oil of their fingers no matter how they try their fingers are always sooty and greasy ; )

Comment

Originally posted by merc200dalarna View Post
                  But no, the seam is not paralell to the carb housing. It is now lower in the end opposite of pivot/needle. I measured it, struck it with a hex-nut on top, then measured again and it had seated down 1 mm (of the 2mm, so half) and I didn't dare to strike it again. My guess is that it moves from temperature, I use the motor even now when we have below freezing. The o-ring allows for the travel when freezing and warming (Only my guess.)
                  Needle seats are not supposed to move..at all.

Comment

It's only about 10 or 11pm at night in Sweden. How about a moonlight cruise to test it?
                    But it's on the trailer in my backyard, doubt my neighbours would like me to run the motor now. Most likely I have it run tomorrow, but we have so little daylight now, it sets at 4:15pm allready. it's 11:18pm as I write this.

Comment

• Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                      Needle seats are not supposed to move..at all.
                      Oh I know, but my guess is that the rubber expanding and contracting allowed it to do so. Ever so slightly each time. Either that or the japanese engineer had a very bad monday back in 2013 when assembling it.

Comment

• Originally posted by merc200dalarna View Post
                        Quite possible, since had 2 cars and one snowmobile for sale at the same time he sold me the outboard. He seemed like the type that tinkers with everything motorized. I'm sure you know the type, those who never seem to be able to wash the oil of their fingers no matter how they try their fingers are always sooty and greasy ; )
                        Sounds familiar

Comment

• Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                          As long as the float is "close" to being Parallel to the surface where the carb bowl mates it will be fine. Don't get caught up to much with the measurement in the Service manual.

Like Scott said they usually are pushed in until they bottom out in the bore.

Now will it stay put...that would be my concern.

I bet it will run just fine now.

I am sure you will let us know...go catch some fish!!
                          I know, I'm sure it will run smooth. If I only had another carb to look at, or a picture of how it is supposed to be.

I would just love to catch the last fish of the year now, and doing so with the Yamaha just humming nicely in the background. I'm sure it will. Thank you all. And by the way, guess you guys know this can happen now, who knows who else comes crying to this forum ; )

Comment

• Always up to me to ask....what type of fish are you chasing???

Comment

• Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                              Always up to me to ask....what type of fish are you chasing???
                              Northern Pike. The only fish we have (inland, lakes, rivers) that puts up a real fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by merc200dalarna View Post
                                Where is this O-Ring?

And maybe a pic NOW, from the side, carb upside down, float secured?

Just curious how close the float seam is to the carb body (parallel wise)...
                                Scott
                                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                                X