No announcement yet.

F20 startup issue +video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is some pictures, you should be able to zoom and the quality is all I got, I do not have the latest cellphone. A video will be on youtube later, where I demonstrate the heightening of the float as I screw in the screw, sorry for my foreign accent, LOL.

The needle "brass" seat measures ~2mm above carb body??? (0,078 inches as I switched on my digital caliper)
    If that is the reason, what height should the seat be at?

And also, that lil clip between the needle and plastic float cannot be mounted wrong? I mean it is rather self explanatory where it grips on the needle, just by looking at the shape of it?

So if it isn't the needle seat that has shifted, I cannot see where my issue is?

Thank you all for taking interest and helping.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/LXaUD

Video: https://youtu.be/wuBoxdmRVvo
    Last edited by merc200dalarna; 11-04-2017, 07:09 AM.

Comment

OK I just watched your video and looked at all the pictures. Here are my questions to you:
      There is something definitely wrong with the float..its bottom surface should be parallel with the carb body... with carb upside down. So that is good...we are on to the problem.

In the very first picture....is the float pin
      sitting right down in the notches in the carb? I looks as though that pin is up slightly on the left side, looking at the first picture ( the opposite side from the hold down screw)

Roll the float pin on a real flat surface see if it is bent...

Was that float ever replaced?...how did all this start?

And last but not least...I thought you were going fishing today?

Comment

What I cannot see, is when the pin is removed, AND YOU LIFT THE FLOAT UP(carb is upside down right now), DOES THE NEEDLE COME OUT WITH THE FLOAT?

Or is the NEEDLE staying in place?

**When you lift the float up and away from the carb, the NEEDLE SHOULD GO WITH IT (if properly installed)***

And areed 100% with Panasonic, that float, when properly installed, up side down SHOULD BE about even (the seam) with the machined flat part of the carb.

$ has it that spring is ATOP the needle/inbetween the float and needle...

Here's a You Tube Video showing how the spring should be installed and working properly:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiexehn33kg

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-04-2017, 12:30 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
          OK I just watched your video and looked at all the pictures. Here are my questions to you:
          There is something definitely wrong with the float..its bottom surface should be parallel with the carb body... with carb upside down. So that is good...we are on to the problem.

In the very first picture....is the float pin
          sitting right down in the notches in the carb? I looks as though that pin is up slightly on the left side, looking at the first picture ( the opposite side from the hold down screw)

Roll the float pin on a real flat surface see if it is bent...

Was that float ever replaced?...how did all this start?

And last but not least...I thought you were going fishing today?
          I can set the float paralell to the carb bottom, but I can not tighten the screw then.

And further, yes the pivot-pin is slightly higher on the side without the screw, but that is just because I can't tighten the screw.....if I do, well you saw the video. It raises the float with like 8mm or a 1/4 inch.. The float pin is straight as an arrow. Fishing was held back by a **** carburetor ; )
          I'm the second owner, I just doubt it was replaced or anything.
          Well, it started with me cleaning the carb. when re-installing I tightened the screw, but it didn't look right, so I losened it a bit to get the float flush with the carb surface. Time pased and the screw vibrated lose, which lead to my earlier post. So I tightened the screw, which lead to this post.....

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            What I cannot see, is when the pin is removed, AND YOU LIFT THE FLOAT UP(carb is upside down right now), DOES THE NEEDLE COME OUT WITH THE FLOAT?

Or is the NEEDLE staying in place?

**When you lift the float up and away from the carb, the NEEDLE SHOULD GO WITH IT (if properly installed)***

And areed 100% with Panasonic, that float, when properly installed, up side down SHOULD BE about even (the seam) with the machined flat part of the carb.

$ has it that spring is ATOP the needle/inbetween the float and needle...

Here's a You Tube Video showing how the spring should be installed and working properly:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiexehn33kg

The needle follows the float, because of that little "omega"-shaped clip. (watch the pictures further down when I hold the float in my hand, you can see the needle attached via the omega-clip)The clip that cannot be fastened in any other way than in the groove of the needle, and up around the little plastic lip on the float.

Yes, on the back end of the needle, there is a blackened little ball that touches the plastic of the float. Sort of like a little spacer against the plastics of the float. If it is a spring loaded little ball, I haven't tested, but since I assume this is the original piece, it is probably spring loaded.
            Last edited by merc200dalarna; 11-04-2017, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by merc200dalarna View Post
              I can set the float paralell to the carb bottom, but I can not tighten the screw then.

And further, yes the pivot-pin is slightly higher on the side without the screw, but that is just because I can't tighten the screw.....if I do, well you saw the video. It raises the float with like 8mm or a 1/4 inch.. The float pin is straight as an arrow. Fishing was held back by a **** carburetor ; )
              I'm the second owner, I just doubt it was replaced or anything.
              Well, it started with me cleaning the carb. when re-installing I tightened the screw, but it didn't look right, so I losened it a bit to get the float flush with the carb surface. Time pased and the screw vibrated lose, which lead to my earlier post. So I tightened the screw, which lead to this post.....
              was the motor doing this before you cleaned the carb?
              Did you use a chemical to clean it?
              maybe that rubber is swollen making it too thick pushing the float out of spec
              is that rubber ball you talk about part of the needle?
              maybe a close up pic of that will tell us something

Comment

I am thinking that someone else has been that carb before you and has the wrong needle and/or the wrong float installed.

If you tighten down the screw all the way and the float rises way to much...then the needle is bottoming out in the seat to soon...So it is the wrong length needle, the needle seat has moved out slightly ( highly doubt that..but anything is possible ) or the float is now misshapened somehow....or wrong float.

I would get a carb kit for it....

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  was the motor doing this before you cleaned the carb?
                  Did you use a chemical to clean it?
                  maybe that rubber is swollen making it too thick pushing the float out of spec
                  is that rubber ball you talk about part of the needle?
                  maybe a close up pic of that will tell us something
                  Well, no, but it ran for a long long time. I cleaned the carb last winter, for the first time, using carb cleaner, european brand CTC. (ether I think) The ball I talk about is the backend part of the needle yes. It looks like the spare parts needle, nothing out of the ordinary.

Hmmm, this is getting weird.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                    I am thinking that someone else has been that carb before you and has the wrong needle and/or the wrong float installed.

If you tighten down the screw all the way and the float rises way to much...then the needle is bottoming out in the seat to soon...So it is the wrong length needle, the needle seat has moved out slightly ( highly doubt that..but anything is possible ) or the float is now misshapened somehow....or wrong float.

I would get a carb kit for it....
                    The motor is so new, though the previous owner was into moto-x. But still.

I measured the needle seat height on one of the pics, nothing that you react too?

Do any of you know the Keihin original name for this carb, model number???

I will get the carb kit over the winter, I know it runs now, and I'm confident it will sort things out.

You are helpful, what an awesome resource for helt and advice. Thanks.
                    Last edited by merc200dalarna; 11-04-2017, 03:58 PM.

Comment

did you replace the needle and seat when you cleaned the carb?
                      If not where did the spare part needle come from you speak about?

have you measured the spare and the one installed to make sure they are both the same length?

Comment

Agreed with the below..

One other possibility is the needle seat moved outward.

I cleaned one carb (small engine), and the seat (don't know the material-wasn't metal), somehow moved outward and was now EXACTLY what the OP apparently has...Float out too far.

Correct needle, seat and float HAS to get things correct.

Can you post a close up pic (just for S&G's), of the float with the needle ALONE, the needle hanging from the float? It likely attaches as such.
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                          Agreed with the below..

One other possibility is the needle seat moved outward.

I cleaned one carb (small engine), and the seat (don't know the material-wasn't metal), somehow moved outward and was now EXACTLY what the OP apparently has...Float out too far.

Correct needle, seat and float HAS to get things correct.

Can you post a close up pic (just for S&G's), of the float with the needle ALONE, the needle hanging from the float? It likely attaches as such.
                          Picture number 6 in the attached picture link is as close as it gets, you can click the pics for zoom. OK, so the pic is upside down, but it doesn't matter, because the back end of the needle touches the plastic lip it hangs from.

Comment

did you replace the needle and seat when you cleaned the carb?
                            If not where did the spare part needle come from you speak about?

have you measured the spare and the one installed to make sure they are both the same length?
                            I haven't replaced any of them, nor do I have a spare part, it must be a misunderstanding.
                            Oh now I see, I meant that the needle I have, the original one, looks just like the ones in the pictures of the carburetor repair kit.
                            Last edited by merc200dalarna; 11-04-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I do not see the seat listed as a replacement part, so I wounder if it is metal and none replaceable part of the carb.

I have seen none metal seats in lawnmower carbs before, but you could buy new ones.

Does the needle have the rubber tip on it also?
                              Last edited by 99yam40; 11-04-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I do not see the seat listed as a replacement part, so I wounder if it is metal and none replaceable part of the carb.

I have seen none metal seats in lawnmower carbs before, but you could buy new ones.

Does the needle have the rubber tip on it also?
                                The seat is BRASS or similar.
                                Look at picture number 6 please, use zoom.
                                link to pictures, scroll down to picture number 6 and click it: https://imgur.com/a/LXaUD

Comment

Working...
                                X