2006 Yamaha F150 Preventative Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Yamaha F150 Preventative Maintenance

Purchased a 2006 18' Grady White CC in June. The boat is moored in a marina and because it takes ~12 hours to pick up the trailer, haul to the dealer, I want to take care of any preventative maintenance of known issues I may encounter.

When I bought the boat it had ~300 hours and ran fine, but shortly after developed a problem reaching WOT that turned out to be a bad ignition coil.

To date I have replaced the following items:

balancer
    timing belt
    ignition coil
    drive shaft seal/o-ring
    shift seal/o-ring
    internal anodes
    water pump
    thermostat
    VST filter
    HP fuel pump (gift from dealer)
    injectors
    trim/tilt seals
    1 scratched ram
    o-rings between hydraulic pump and trim/tilt assembly
    spark plugs
    oil filter
    engine oil
    lower gear oil
    propeller shaft seal
    fuel/water separator filter

It's at the dealer now, anything else I should be doing?

Thanks for any suggestions.

In your owners manual there is a section dedicated to preventative maintenance, including a chart denoting the PM time interval for each part/system. I'd take a glance at this chart to verify what you have/have not checked.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Thanks Jason, what I'm asking about are issues like the balancer that aren't even mentioned in the owner's manual.

Comment

You have done many things that would be recommended.

My personal gripe would be having an 18ft boat stored in the water. I like to dry mine out from time to time....

Don't understand the 12 hour thing...

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          You have done many things that would be recommended.

My personal gripe would be having an 18ft boat stored in the water. I like to dry mine out from time to time....

Don't understand the 12 hour thing...
          I agree, would prefer to have it out of the water, but I live in a condo and dry storage is hard to come by where I live - plus it's nice to drive just 10 minutes and be out on the boat whenever I want - I take the boat out a least 5 times a week.

Every time I have to pull my boat out of the water I have to drive 30 minutes to rent a truck, then drive to the other side of the island to pick up my trailer, then drive back to where my boat is moored, pick up the boat then drive to the other side of the island to drop off my boat at the dealer, then drop off the truck and drive home.

Comment

Condo life. Got it.

Using the boat five times a week may ward off many of the problems most people have with engines. Seems like the more they run, the better they run.

Comment

Looks like you addressed almost everything!

The Pressure Control Valve seal is the only thing I don't see addressed.

The OLD STYLE (what's in there, per Rodbolt) lasts forever(so keep that),
              but replace the rubber "seal" in the block and clean out.

Part #8: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...203/parts.html

I assume you changed out the anodes in the head (by the spark plugs-two) and the one on the PORT side of the block.

Also, installed is a TYPE 4 balancer?

My original PCV after 10 years and ALWAYS flushed:

From the Yamaha F150 SHOP manual:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-04-2017, 08:22 AM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks Townsends, will replace the PCV seal and clean as recommended and yes have replaced the balancer with the type 4 and have changed out the internal anodes.

Rodbolt mentioned in one of his posts here or on another forum other "Alligators" (that will come back to bite you) with the F150 - tried searching for this post, but couldn't find it.

Comment

Your welcome..

I don't know of any other items you need to address.

One thing I did forget are the seals under the WP "wear plate" (for the drive shaft). The SS tension spring tends to "go away" over time.

I didn't have any water intrusion but the local Yammy shop strongly recommended checking it.. Sure enough, the top seal spring was gone. So new seals and o-ring...
                  Scott

Comment

Yes, replaced the drive shaft seal/o-ring and the shift seal/o-ring.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHNL View Post
                      Yes, replaced the drive shaft seal/o-ring and the shift seal/o-ring.

Thanks again.
                      No problem... Just curious, was the SS spring gone?
                      Scott

Comment

I don't believe so, need to go through the box of replaced parts that I've been meaning to throw away.
                        The mechanic kind of intimated that I wasted money replacing those seals/o-rings, as they were in good condition.

How many hours did your motor have on it when you replaced the PCV seal?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHNL View Post
                          I don't believe so, need to go through the box of replaced parts that I've been meaning to throw away.
                          The mechanic kind of intimated that I wasted money replacing those seals/o-rings, as they were in good condition.

How many hours did your motor have on it when you replaced the PCV seal?
                          About 200 hours, 2006 engine. It was really fine. That cover, was the absolute worst part of the engine (which I did NOT expect to see). All parts cleaned up nicely but I already had the rubber part and installed.

Some folks have had issues dropping it in the block(R&R'). I pulled the rubber, cleaned the block, put a thin coat of yamaha's waterproof grease on the block (just to help keep salt water from eating the block).

Slipped the bottom "slot" over the hole, push down gently on top and inward slowly..

Don't really know how they have issues, but RB fishes them out of the block apparently pretty often..

BTW, my engine was about 7-8 years old when that seal spring was found to missing.

Next WP change, if that spring is missing, I still have the "lower seal" spring/seal. I'll slip that spring over the seal and pressure check for leaks...

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                            Condo life. Got it.

Using the boat five times a week may ward off many of the problems most people have with engines. Seems like the more they run, the better they run.
                            You are right about that...biggest problem I think with outboards and many other machines....lack of use.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                              About 200 hours, 2006 engine. It was really fine. That cover, was the absolute worst part of the engine (which I did NOT expect to see). All parts cleaned up nicely but I already had the rubber part and installed.

Some folks have had issues dropping it in the block(R&R'). I pulled the rubber, cleaned the block, put a thin coat of yamaha's waterproof grease on the block (just to help keep salt water from eating the block).

Slipped the bottom "slot" over the hole, push down gently on top and inward slowly..

Don't really know how they have issues, but RB fishes them out of the block apparently pretty often..

BTW, my engine was about 7-8 years old when that seal spring was found to missing.

Next WP change, if that spring is missing, I still have the "lower seal" spring/seal. I'll slip that spring over the seal and pressure check for leaks...

When you say the spring is missing what do you mean?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X