No announcement yet.

Water or head temperture sensor help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brass/copper do not go well with aluminum, that is why they use SS in aluminum .
    but SS does not get along well either, but is a lot better than copper

Comment

FWIW, although Yamaha uses stainless steel for those "blind plugs"

they have no problem supplying brass for devices to use the holes, once the plugs are removed

Last edited by fairdeal; 08-26-2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Looking at those pics they look like straight thread fittings. I would drill and tap for a helicoil insert. You might want or have to take it out some day....

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
          Looking at those pics they look like straight thread fittings. I would drill and tap for a helicoil insert. You might want or have to take it out some day....
          Do it right.

Panasonic is hereby elected the official "Threadman".

All this tap stuff...starter, bottoming...I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
            Looking at those pics they look like straight thread
            they are: M14 x 1.5

There is British Standard Pipe Tapered and National Pipe Tapered

but AFAIK there is no such thing as "metric tapered"

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
              they are: M14 x 1.5

There is British Standard Pipe Tapered and National Pipe Tapered

but AFAIK there is no such thing as "metric tapered"

Fairdeal you are absolutely right. The Japanese adopted the British Standard Pipe Thread for their manufacturing, along with rest of the metric world...lol

The USA came up with their own...National Pipe Tapered
              Last edited by panasonic; 08-26-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                Do it right.

Panasonic is hereby elected the official "Threadman".

All this tap stuff...starter, bottoming...I don't know.

I already got that title at work....some days I wish I didn't..

Comment

The starboard side already has the brass fitting installed for the water pressure sender. It was there when I bought the boat and it looks like it's been there for a long time. So brass fitting seems to be working fine. I just confused why I should take it off the starboard side and install it in the port side if I install the temp sender.

Comment

Originally posted by Jodyxjames View Post
                    The starboard side already has the brass fitting installed for the water pressure sender. It was there when I bought the boat and it looks like it's been there for a long time. So brass fitting seems to be working fine. I just confused why I should take it off the starboard side and install it in the port side if I install the temp sender.
                    Go back and read the illustration that is within your own post #12.

What does it say?

But it is your motor. You don't have to do anything. Do what you want to do. Rig it however you want to rig it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jodyxjames View Post
                      just confused why I should take it off the starboard side and install it in the port side if I install the temp sender.
                      well the Yamaha instructions mentioned the tube being kinked.
                      on a V engine, the heads are offset, for the con rods on the crank

so one head is higher inside the cowling, and closer to the flywheel.

i'm guessing thats the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        Go back and read the illustration that is within your own post #12.

What does it say?
                        Yes I see that, but the water pressure sender is already on the starboard side, so I guess my question is why would it break the tube if water temp sender is added? I'm just wanting to know for piece of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                          well the Yamaha instructions mentioned the tube being kinked.
                          on a V engine, the heads are offset, for the con rods on the crank

so one head is higher inside the cowling, and closer to the flywheel.

i'm guessing thats the reason.
                          That makes sense. Water pressure tube should go on the lower head. But it's already on the starboard side

Comment

Working...
                          X