X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys for the info.

Comment

snowflakes.

I aint scared to drill, tap nor helicoil.
      at work they call me scarecrow because I am a tad on the thin side.
      I reply: I am a special scarecrow cause I aint afraid of fire.
      remove the plug. worst that is gonna happen is the threads come out with it.
      that is what heli-coils are for.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
        Fairfeal, I'm courious to why I have to remove the water pressure sensor from the starboard side put it in the port side.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
          I have no idea what was used in the 2001 V150TLRZ -
          but on my F225TXRD those plugs are stainless steel - not my favorite metal to tap...
          Most problems I see with people tapping holes are:

#1 Using crappy taps on expensive parts...good taps cost good money. Don't buy your taps at Home Depot.

#2 Buy your taps in sets of three, starter, plug and bottoming.

#3 Starting the tap crooked, sure way to break a tap off. (starter tap and square if possible)

#4 Too rigid on the tap drill size... 75% thread for soft material's like Aluminum and 50% thread on hard steel and stainless. Unless it is very critical you can even go lower % thread (slightly larger tap drill) and get a good strong thread.
          Get a good tap drill chart off the net with different % thread sizing.

#5 No tapping fluid or wrong tapping fluid...it can make all the difference. WD-40 works as good as any... in aluminum.

#6 Keep the hole and tap clean...get rid of the swarf.

Sorry Fairdeal for hijacking your post...broken taps are a pet peeve of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
            ...broken taps are a pet peeve of mine.
            Six excellent tips.

That's why I come here - to obtain (and sometimes) share experience /knowledge.

Comment

I still own a set of tap removers.
              burned more 10-32 taps than I care to remember.
              the 10 dollar tap sets from the tool truck are ok for thread chasing.

Comment

Ok, I order the teleflex sender, my last question, is the a certain wire I should use? i.e. Thermo wire, or just marine grade #16 wire?

Comment

marine grade #16 should be fine

Comment

Bad news, the threads are now stripped where I took the old bolt out. Any suggestions? Should I use jb weld to set the fitting?

Comment

drill, tap and helicoil

Comment

Is it a tapered pipe blanking plug (bolt) you took out? You have a picture of the fitting you are going to install?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          drill, tap and helicoil
                          that will cost about $75. JB weld to the rescue, save yourself some grief and cash.. I opted for the glue in knowing those threads would strip.

RB ain't scared cause he ain't buying the repair stuff. Fix is simple, but the heli-coil tap isn't cheap

Comment

everyone needs more tools/toys to play with

Comment

I might go for the JB Weld myself;
                              that adapter plug is only going back in once and should never have to come out again.

But seems a generic Helicoil kit is available for as little as $37

Thread Repair Kit M14 x 1.5 x 1.5D Stainless Steel Insert & Tap & Drill bit | eBay

Comment

Once it's in I don't plan to take it out. It's a brass bushing you use when installing water pressure or water temp sender. It had a stainless steel bolt in place on top of the head. The threads in the head stripped.

Comment

Working...
                                X