Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F90 will not trim

2005 F90TLRD

Was driving my boat on plane today and as I trimmed the engine I noticed that it was not moving much. I came to a stop and tried trimming and eventually the engine stopped about half way up. Battery is brand new and good. I can hear the relays clicking when I try to trim up or down. I have never dealt with a trim problem, what should I check? I'm assuming I probably need a new trim motor.

When I got back to my dock, I loosened the manual trim screw on the port side and the enginen dropped all the way down. I then tried to lift the engine up while I was standing in the water, but I could barely move it and it was a struggle. Should it be this difficiult to manually move the engine to the up position? I'm not a weight lifter but I am not too weak either.

Thanks

Do you hear the T&T motor running?
    if not the relay could be a problem or the motor itself

Comment

The up relay and down relay are two separate devices (even tho contained in the same module) so the chances of them both simultaneously failing is very low.
      If you hear a click from it both up and down - and your battery/wiring is good, then the motor has failed.
      You could try removing the motor leads from the relay and applying battery power directly to see if it runs.

As for "manually" tilting it up - I have an F90 - if I want to do that,
      I have to set up a jack, with the boat firmly on a trailer on solid ground
      No way can I get to budge with my back and arms.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
        The up relay and down relay are two separate devices (even tho contained in the same module) so the chances of them both simultaneously failing is very low.
        If you hear a click from it both up and down - and your battery/wiring is good, then the motor has failed.
        You could try removing the motor leads from the relay and applying battery power directly to see if it runs.

Yes it clicks both up and down. I will try powering directly to confirm that the motor is bad.

So I was looking on boats.net for a 2005 F90tlrd trim motor replacement, and it identifies PN 6D8-43880-00-00 as the yamaha brand replacement part. However, I found this much cheaper motor on Amazon, it says that it fits 2005 F90tlr but replaces slightly different PN 6D8-43880-01-00. Are these equivalent parts? The Amazon ad also says that is replaces a short shaft motor, how do I check if my engine is a short shaft?

Thanks

Link to Amazon part: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FG...f90+trim+motor

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

The relay clicks when I push up or down. I will confirm if its the trim motor by hooking up the battery directly.

So I noticed that on boat.net the part number for a new 2005 F90TLRD yamaha trim motor is 6D8-43880-00-00. I found a much cheaper one on amazon that has part number 6D8-43880-01-00. Are these parts interchangable? The listing also says that the trim motor is for a short shaft application. How do I check if my F90TLRD is short shaft?

Thanks

Listing for amazon part: https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-4-STRO...f90+trim+motor

Comment

Working...
          X