Quick and general overhaul.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick and general overhaul.

I didn't tackle anything too difficult - but parts of it were frustrating. Just a general overhaul and maintenance of the cooling system. This is split up because the site doesn't allow for more than 4 images per post.

For what it's worth I've got a 2001 150 OX66 (SX150TXRZ)

Generally when I get a new engine I do all the "annual" stuff on my own regardless of when the previous owner said they did it. Only exception is if there is a shop reciept showing what was done.

So I started with all this:
    Plugs
    Thermostats and gaskets
    New pressure relief
    New anodes
    New fuel filters
    New waterpunp (all of it - housing, collars, gaskets and inpeller)

Started with the thermostats because they are frankly as easy as the spark plugs.
    Remove the four bolts at the top of the port and starboard housings on the engine to reveal the stats and gaskets.

After you take out the stat do a good cleaning of the cover and the mounting surface. A soft bristled brush and some Yamalube Corrosiom Prorectsnt got the job done
    Last edited by JerEazy1; 08-01-2017, 05:02 AM. Reason: Smaller pictures
    - Eazy Life

Glad I decided to do these because the starboard was stuck - new vs old shown.

Installlation is reverse. And cover everything on the engine in that protectant once installed. For reference the tab on the gasket goes on the bottom right. Here is what came out. Sad to say, but unless I'm handed a shop reciept from a shop I know, this is why you always do it yourself.

And that's it for those! Next onto the pressure relief or poppet valve.

Step one of this is taking off the large plastic cover. It's 4 screws and should be simple. Unless like mine you have 2 screws seized up.

After that is off you need to remove these 2 10mm screws

So you can get to the wire harnesses and unsnap the connectors by pressing these tabs and pulling down and moving out of the way
    Last edited by JerEazy1; 08-01-2017, 05:07 AM. Reason: Smaller pictures
    - Eazy Life

Comment

That should give you access to the poppet cover which is also held in with 2 10mm screws. Be careful when you undo the screws as there is a spring holding tension under there

Once the cover is off the spring should come out and maybe the valve with it. In my case the valve stayed in. Grab some needle nose and just pull it off.

It was a mess on my engine - and the old style as well. Here is a side by side of the old and new and old grommet and new.

Now hear me on this. That grommet is hell. I'm sure some people will have less trouble than me - but I accidentally dropped that thing inside the water jacket more than once. After the first time (and an hour trying to fish it out (and seriously debating taking the whole thing apart) the second attempt I held a small bent piece of wire hanger inside the grommet and against the back of the water jacket. This way if I accidentally pushed it in too far I could pull it back out. Sadly pictures of all this were not taken as frustration and anger kept my phone at bay. The easiest way to describe it is the grommet has a recess on it and the hole has a lip on it. The recess needs to sit on the lip. Clean the mount, the hole and the housing as well! Once you get it set you'll want to put the gasket onto the housing and put one screw in to hold it. Put the mushroom into the spring - push the tension in and get one screw started then the next. Tighten them down a bit on each side so as not to bind the spring.

Coat everything with corrosion protection again and put it back together.

At this point I started the engine on muffs to see if the tell-tall flowed - and yep! We had water flow.

Water pump was next.
      - Eazy Life

Comment

That should give you access to the poppet cover which is also held in with 2 10mm screws. Be careful when you undo the screws as there is a spring holding tension under there

Once the cover is off the spring should come out and maybe the valve with it. In my case the valve stayed in. Grab some needle nose and just pull it off.

It was a mess on my engine - and the old style as well. Here is a side by side of the old and new and old grommet and new.

Now hear me on this. That grommet is hell. I'm sure some people will have less trouble than me - but I accidentally dropped that thing inside the water jacket more than once. After the first time (and an hour trying to fish it out (and seriously debating taking the whole thing apart) the second attempt I held a small bent piece of wire hanger inside the grommet and against the back of the water jacket. This way if I accidentally pushed it in too far I could pull it back out. Sadly pictures of all this were not taken as frustration and anger kept my phone at bay. The easiest way to describe it is the grommet has a recess on it and the hole has a lip on it. The recess needs to sit on the lip. Clean the mount, the hole and the housing as well! Once you get it set you'll want to put the gasket onto the housing and put one screw in to hold it. Put the mushroom into the spring - push the tension in and get one screw started then the next. Tighten them down a bit on each side so as not to bind the spring.

Coat everything with corrosion protection again and put it back together.

At this point I started the engine on muffs to see if the tell-tall flowed - and yep! We had water flow.

Fuel filter on the side was next - but no need for pictures or a walk trough from that - just make sure to replace the o-ring in the filter and on the rim of the cup.

Water pump followed - and I did not really document that job as it is well documented on the interwebs. Happy motoring!
        Last edited by JerEazy1; 08-01-2017, 05:10 AM. Reason: Smaller pictures
        - Eazy Life

Comment

What 2 safety pins for? Trailer?

Comment

What is the red stuff inside fuel filter?

Comment

Originally posted by amahaork View Post
              What 2 safety pins for? Trailer?
              Yeah - they were for the adjustable foot on the previous trailer while i was still considering the reconditioning. Purchased a new one instead

What is the red stuff inside fuel filter?
              I had no idea - it was a red plastic circle - kind of like what used to get left on the rim of a gallon of milk? It didn't look like it belonged anywhere on the new filter and I ordered a new filter kit from Simyamaha and it didn't come with a replacement part. So if I had to venture a guess, it was a packing/storage piece for the old filter that the previous owner thought got installed with it. The filter itself was off of the spring inside of the cup. Previous to the new filter pumping the bulb would fill that cup and then it would run out. Now it fills the cup and holds pressure.
              - Eazy Life

Comment

How many of you guys have to scroll back and forth to see the pics and read the writing?

I believe the pics are too big

and I believe that red ring floats on water but not on gas, so it will show the level of water in cup better
                Last edited by 99yam40; 07-31-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  How many of you guys have to scroll back and forth to see the pics and read the writing?

I believe the pics are too big

and I believe that red ring floats on water but not on gas, so it will show the level of water in cup better
                  Sorry about that - i used imgur which i've never used before. Yes they are a bit big. If i can figure out how to re-size i will.

And thank you for the info on the red-ring! Now I need to search through my "old parts" box and see if I didn't throw it out...
                  - Eazy Life

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Correct, the red ring SHOULD be even in clear filter housing. It VERY easily will slip off installing.

When there's water in there, the red ring will FLOAT. C0cked like that, it won't float/ work correctly.

And yes, those pic's are huge!!

As a side note, per Rodbolt, the resident Yamaha MT, the new style mushroom poppit valve will wear out. I have a brand new one in the attic as
                    I put the old one back in.

Also, a little bit of grease where the poppit grommit goes makes installation a snap. Start the bottom of the grommit over the bottom of the hole,
                    gently push down on the top with a blunt tool and again, gently push it in fully.

Kinda hard to see in this pic but the ring should be level, sitting atop the "filter legs":
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-31-2017, 05:00 PM.
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

No rigging tube?

Comment

No rigging tube?
                        Of course, just the angle of the picture:
                        Scott

Comment

New scuppers as well...no new hose-pipe? LoL

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            Of course, just the angle of the picture:
                            Seeing the location of your fuel/water separator reminded me to inquire about this particular location, mounted on the transom. I see this quite often and was always curious if this location is chosen for a specific reason other than ease of accessibility. Your thoughts?

My separator is mounted under my center console, which is where the fuel tank line comes up from under the deck.
                            Jason
                            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by JerEazy1 View Post
                              And thank you for the info on the red-ring! Now I need to search through my "old parts" box and see if I didn't throw it out...
                              Your "RED Ring" is already inside the filter cup. It's in the picture.

You just have to remove the cup, set the ring gently above the "arms" and re-assemble W/O it falling off. You'll probably do this several times as it's a PIA. Once it's on, it'll stay.

BTW, the cup itself probably expanded (where it seats) some and WON'T fully seat once off. Put that cup in the freezer for at least a half hour, then work quick, it'll now slip on.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X