No announcement yet.

What Would Cause This...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of curosity....everybody here torquing the prop crown nut to spec? My SM states 40lb/ft
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
      Out of curosity....everybody here torquing the prop crown nut to spec? My SM states 40lb/ft
      depends on the set up you have.
      If it is the normal castle nut
      You can try, but you have to line up the nut to the hole for the cotter key.
      probably need to move it one way or the other a little
      I do not use a torque wrench, just good and tight

Comment

I have to "overtorque" to get the slots to align for the cotterpin

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          I have to "overtorque" to get the slots to align for the cotterpin
          Try another nut...threads start in different spot in relation to the castlations (slots for cotter pin) and it might line up very close to where you want it...or not.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
            Try another nut...threads start in different spot in relation to the castlations (slots for cotter pin) and it might line up very close to where you want it...or not.
            Hey I am just following the Yamaha directions!

Seriously, ask Boscoe.

Not killing it, just a bit tighter.

Comment

Good and tight is fine, till the holes line up. It isn't going anywhere..
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The new hub kit i installed includes a spacer (aft washer) that is thicker than the previous spacer I used. I can't get the nut down far enough to allow access to the entire cotter pin hole. However, I was tightening by hand using wrench. I just picked up 27mm socket to use with my torque wrench. Hopefully seating nut 40lb/ft does the trick. We'll see. If not I'll just use the old spacer.
                Jason

Comment

Turns out that if I used the new spacer and crown nut from the flo-torq assembly box, torquing nut to 45lb/ft still won't allow full access to cotter pin hole. If I used my old crown nut and new spacer, no problem torquing to 40lb/ft and inserting pin. So that's what I did.

The combined thread length of the flo-torq spacer and nut is too long, covers 3/4 of the pin hole. So I don't have a shiny new **** crown nut, no biggie.
                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                  X