No announcement yet.

Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all for your help! Looks like easy fix.

Comment

Yes but look at the quality.........

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
        Agreed, but Boscoes pic, post #9, (nice and clear), doesn't show where the part actually goes...

The not so clear pic, DOES..

A combo of both would be best..

Often the order of an assembly is seen on that diagram, which is often critical..

In this case, the OP knows whats broke and where...

However, say in the tension spring thread for the fuel pump, that was a "search" and then show where it actually goes.
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-23-2017, 12:48 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Fair enough. Hard for some also to visualize parts installed on the opposite side of motor from the perspective of some of these drawings. Not sure if that makes sense. I guess the alternative would be to go the way of Suzuki and have 69 diagrams to choose from. I guess people get accustomed to whatever they have to work with. With Yam, not so much.
          Ideally one would have a service manual and the parts catalog on hand. And a bit of background into doing mechanical stuff.

All Yam SM's have the following notice at the front:

This manual has been prepared by Yamaha primarily for use by Yamaha dealers and their trained mechanics when performing maintenance procedures and repairs to Yamaha equipment. It has been written to suit the needs of persons who have a basic understanding of the mechanical and electrical concepts and procedures inherent in the work, for without such knowledge attempted repairs or service to the equipment could render it unsafe or unfit for use.

The parts catalog depicts a view from the left front looking aft. The SM depicts a view from the right rear looking forward. Between the two a clearer picture should become available. See below:

Last edited by boscoe99; 06-23-2017, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Ever heard of a fellow named Burt Rutan? Famous in the aerospace world for building composite airplanes. His company also built the twin piston airplane for his brother and a lady fried that flew around the world non-stop and un-efueled. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Rutan

He started a business selling kits. To pilot people that wanted to build their own personal airplane. He sold a number of kits. Then he started getting calls from folks trying to build an airplane who had no knowledge whatsoever of anything mechanical. How do I read a drawing? What end of the screw drive goes forward? What is a hammer for? What is a rivet? Why do I need a voltmeter? What is an amp? Why does my battery spark when I connect the red wire to the black wire. He closed the company.

This is kinda what Yamaha, Honda, Mercury, Suzuki, Evinrude et al go through with wannabe marine mechanics. Known as Backyardigans by another name. They drive the Sequoia's and Rodnut's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Ideally one would have a service manual and the parts catalog on hand. And a bit of background into doing mechanical stuff.

& "Known as Backyardigans by another name. They drive the Sequoia's and Rodnut's crazy".

Agreed both manuals would be great however many folks that come here for help don't have them. (I do have both for my engine)

Most are NOT full time marine mechanic's. Most do NOT have access to the shop manuals you do from working for Yamaha.

Many are "Backyardians" and if that "expertise level" bothers someone, oh well.

It's a forum to HELP people..

And I'd guesstimate, most REGULARS here DON'T HAVE SERVICE manuals for every engine issue thread that pops up daily.

So they (myself included) look and post from the parts diagrams.

Many want/need help, some want to learn.

To get nasty / sarcastic, etc is un-called for and simply childish. We've seen that with a recent past member..

Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker22 View Post
                That does look like it. Thanks. Any tricks on removal and reinstall. Appreciate your help. Thanks again.

I had a similar, (if not exact) part break on my 2004 F150 TXRC motor. Mine went to the telltale.

To remove mine I first removed everything in the immediate area and put some vice grips on it. I then used a small butane torch / lighter to heat up around the piece for a few seconds and it popped right out. The new piece went right in with some light taps from a mallet.
                Last edited by FL_Marine; 06-23-2017, 06:29 PM.

Comment

FLmarine - you ever get that boat in the water?

Comment

Working...
                  X