Hard start Yamaha F300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptSolo
    You still haven't told us how many F300s you worked on in your long illustrious career.

Can't remember? Not one is my guess.

Call a dealer Op. These idiot posters today will cost you $2000 in parts and labor – and it still won’t START any better.
    Go buy the right tools that the dealer and his master techs have for to check your F300.

OP.... here's how my 12 year old 2005 F225s run after the stack job in January 2017 by Floyd (something none of the idiot posters above can do - a 3 engine stack job in 2-1/2 days).

https://vid.me/V5xE This was the fifth straight 100+ mile trip.

Don't be a fool or sucker. Call the dealer (or a really good local mechanic) on this. It's a $60 1 hour fix (labor).
    What is the $60 fix noted above?

And you still haven't told us how the F225 is different than the F300?

Comment

as there are no ign timing reference marks on the flywheel nor is there a timing pointer it is rather difficult to check ign timing.
      you can watch it on YDS and you can watch cam angle.
      I have probably replaced more 4.2L power heads than most here have seen 4.2L.
      however I do go to schools.
      I do pay attention.
      I was an FC2 in the USN and spent my first 3 years doing nothing but electronics courses.

it is amazing how a bad water pressure sensor can load down the5v ref and it will toss other codes.
      it can also lead to altitude sickness.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
        Now they want the moderator to delete your question. OMG.
        no just trying to get rid of your nonsense posts

Rod has finally answered and has some possibilities most of us would not have even thought about( cams).
        so hopefully the OP will have some proper info to discuss with the shop

Comment

Did you see Rod posted twice already?

put down the glass and slowly back away from it for awhile
          Last edited by 99yam40; 05-22-2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            as there are no ign timing reference marks on the flywheel nor is there a timing pointer it is rather difficult to check ign timing.
            you can watch it on YDS and you can watch cam angle.
            I have probably replaced more 4.2L power heads than most here have seen 4.2L.
            however I do go to schools.
            I do pay attention.
            I was an FC2 in the USN and spent my first 3 years doing nothing but electronics courses.

it is amazing how a bad water pressure sensor can load down the5v ref and it will toss other codes.
            it can also lead to altitude sickness.
            Seems like there is some history between some guys around here. Was entertaining at least .

I plan on taking the boat to the shop asap but my mechanic is a few weeks out and by then I'll be due for an oil change. Really what I was hoping to accomplish was some reassurance I can use the boat until I can have it looked at. I feel it is and it's obvious this issue is not a common problem and not easily diagnosed by myself. (I'm no mechanic)

1100 hrs about 200 on new powerheads. Replaced twice under warranty for "making oil" if that tells you anything.

Nick

Comment

ok so what could cause slow starting on a modern EFI variable cam timed engine that has correct cranking speeds?
              excessively rich ?
              lean?
              incorrect air temp signal?
              incorrect baro signal?

all kinds of things.

most the stuff you can check with the SM and a multi meter.
              YDS is faster.

tells me what I don't need to hunt.

it also requires the use of the tool twixt da ear bones.

at key on engine off what do I expect to see?

at cranking what should I see?
              running, again what do I expect?

this stuff aint magic.

kinda like capt solo's slow cranking engine.
              a quick test of the voltage drop on the cables will turn it up.
              could even be a semi stuck brush in the starter.

most modern EPA stuff requires a certain amount of test equipment and a buttload of training/experience.
              that or a very large bankroll.

Comment

Thanks. Yea, a bunch of possibilities. Guess I'll just roll the dice and keep using the boat until I can get into the shop.

I'll report back when I get her into the shop and fixed.

Nick

Comment

it is telling you it is sick.
                  just as humans get sick.
                  run to much sick and it may just die.

roll da dice.
                  no snakeeyes.

me I would fix it rather than risk a valve or a piston.

Comment

The shop found that the fuel cooler was packed full of salt and and not cooling. He said something like the fuel would heat up after the engine shut off and push the fuel out (or something like that) I found that if I pumped the ball prior to starting the engine, it would start right up, which helped them diagnose the issue. They actually said it was fairly common.

If anyone understands better and wants to explain, feel free.

Comment

Thanks for the follow up. Very helpful for people searching for solutions.

I would hazard a guess the issue you report may have lead to a "rich" mixture start.

Comment

Working...
                      X