Hard start Yamaha F300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard start Yamaha F300

2014 Yamaha F300. Cranks but takes a few attempts to start. It use to happen once in a while now it's every time I attempt to start the engine cold.. Once it starts, runs fine and when hot starts right up.

Anyone deal with this before?

Thanks
    Nick

Batteries tested fine with my load tester. I'm not certain their age but not much more than a year old.
    Oil with plugs changed in February due for another in about 2 more trips.

Comment

If the starter's getting good V and A, its likely not an electrical issue.

Comment

if it spins over but does not fire up, you need to monitor fuel pressures and spark to see which is not doing its thing

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
          Bad guess 99Yams IMO. OP says 2014 F300 cold starts/cranks weak - but hot starts perfect. I have an F225 that does about the same thing, only his issue is now "chronic" type start from cold (i.e., all the time) on his f300. BUT it starts. Acts like a weak battery is the problem on his and mine alike, but battery it is not.

You need to read his post more carefully. It's not fuel or spark related IMO.

He needs to get it to the dealer.

where in the world did you see that written?
          maybe you need to do a better job of reading what OP wrote.
          he never said anything about craning weak like a bad battery, that was what you said about yours motor

Originally posted by Seadated View Post
          2014 Yamaha F300. Cranks but takes a few attempts to start. It use to happen once in a while now it's every time I attempt to start the engine cold.. Once it starts, runs fine and when hot starts right up.

Anyone deal with this before?

Thanks
          Nick

Comment

I guess we will need to wait for the OP to come back and tell us if it turns slowly when it will not start cold.
            As that is not what he wrote, even though that is what you get out of reading his post

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              I guess we will need to wait for the OP to come back and tell us if it turns slowly when it will not start cold.
              As that is not what he wrote, even though that is what you get out of reading his post
              Does not turn slowly. Sounds exactly the way it should. To me it sounds like it doesn't have fuel.

When it first happened all I noticed was holding the start button for 3-4 seconds before the engine would start. Typically the engine fires up just by pressing the start button.

It progressed, over a month or so, and sporadically, to cranking for 7-10 seconds and no start. It tried to start but would fire up on second attempt, hang at a 900 or so rpm then settle back to 600.

Saturday was the worst it has ever been and it took 3 attempts to start.

And again, once it gets running, it runs fine.

Hope this clears it up.

Comment

3.3 liter F225 is quite a bit different than a digital 4.2 liter F300.

Comment

well CS it seems you were wrong about it turning slowly, you think too much about your motors and do not pay attention to what people write in their posts.

OP need to monitor fuel pressures to see if the injectors are getting what they need.
                  If that is in spec then make sure there is spark when it does not want to fire off.
                  If good spark and pressure then need to make sure the injectors are firing

Comment

His F300 is a 2014. It's under warrantee. You know next to nothing about F300s, isn't that true?

Tell us. How many F300s have you worked on - on site? 1? 2? none?

Maybe his check valve is clogged/broke/leaking. Get or call an F300 dealer master tech.

How many hours on this 2014 F300?

Brisket anyone?
                    I am sure I have worked on more outboards than you have as you have other people work on them for you and you still seem to just throw off the wall advice to lots of people.
                    Your only good advice is to find a dealer with a master tech.

but if they are looking for what might be causing their problem your advice does not help much

Comment

Solo, tell us the differences between a 2005 F225 and a 2014 F300?

Quit with the Tantrums!!!! This happens to be the OPs first thread on this site! Hopefully it will not get deleted like the last thread where you threw a fit. Remember the bubbles and steam?

Rodbolt sees all your yakking and crying he is likely to pass on commenting , as well as Boscoe, Fairdeal or anyone else. OP doesn't get any benefit and doesn't come back.
                      Last edited by pstephens46; 05-22-2017, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Who asked you psycho?

Op needs to call his dealer with questions and stay away from you backyardians with your big F150s and no experience whatsoever with the F300.

Didn't you even read his post. His F300 runs great - except for a start up when cold issue.
                        so are you trying to say you are sorry and that you were wrong about what the OP was saying or are just into calling people names now?

OPs problem is when it does not start right away.
                        something is causing it not to start up properly.
                        You still do not understand what he is writing about, so please go away

Comment

Why don't you two take your pissing match somewhere else.

Comment

Seadated it would probably be best to start another thread and hope Rodbolt will chime in and CS to not.
                            CS will not let this go.
                            maybe ask the mods to delete this one

Comment

that engine should start at about 2200 RPM and rapidly settle down.
                              if a cam is not retarded it is hard to start.
                              your going to have to run it on 2.3 or higher YDS.
                              pay attention to the baro and intake pressure at key on engine off.
                              use the dealer locator function and find a master tech.

Comment

Working...
                              X