No announcement yet.

ox66 clacking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My tube has a bit of a shine on the outside beveled edge on 1 side.
    Yamaha wants $60 for a new 1, which seems over the top price wise for a solid pc. of metal an inch and a half long. Not sure how a new 1 would stop it from racking back and forth. Will letting it clack cause damage ?

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
      My tube has a bit of a shine on the outside beveled edge on 1 side.
      Yamaha wants $60 for a new 1, which seems over the top price wise for a solid pc. of metal an inch and a half long. Not sure how a new 1 would stop it from racking back and forth. Will letting it clack cause damage ?
      From post #4: my bet would be on a clogged O2 sensor draw tube.

Reading that, sounds like at least an inspection would be needed...
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I serviced this area 11 hours ago.Def. not clogged. Not clogged now either.
        Don't want to throw $80 at this, might not be my noise. Gonna take a ride over there to get the gaskets and compare my tube next to the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          ok
          now ya simply gotta look at the old one.
          is one or both ends shiney?
          is the tube clear?
          should be about a 1/8ths hole through it.
          also now ya gotta look for a tech bulliten concerning a mid year change in 03 for the O2 sensor mounting.
          if the block has ever been replaced since 03 it uses the 04 and later mounting gaskets.
          wont use the same as the 01.
          bites a lot of DIY's.
          there was also a bulliten about an updated O2 sensor draw tube.
          OP you need to talk to them about this also.
          not sure how you can tell if the block has been replaced unless Yamaha has it in there records

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            OP you need to talk to them about this also.
            not sure how you can tell if the block has been replaced unless Yamaha has it in there records
            Chance of me figuring that out is slim to none. I will assume it's original, don't see any wrench marks on on any bolts.

Updated draw tube looks identical to old 1, unless it's a couple of thousands longer. Had carbon on the seat area on the block side, so apparently wasn't a tight fit. Question now is, how much damage will result if the noise continues

Comment

at least ask them to see the bulletins on the O2
              serial # could give any info Yamaha has on that motor

Comment

Were the draw tubes changed? One of mine is a heavy cast piece, looks like a barbell. The other one looks like an "I", two washers connected to a tube.

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                ok
                now ya simply gotta look at the old one.
                is one or both ends shiney?
                is the tube clear?
                should be about a 1/8ths hole through it.
                also now ya gotta look for a tech bulliten concerning a mid year change in 03 for the O2 sensor mounting.
                if the block has ever been replaced since 03 it uses the 04 and later mounting gaskets.
                wont use the same as the 01.
                bites a lot of DIY's.
                there was also a bulliten about an updated O2 sensor draw tube.
                1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

I have the later style 65l-11353-10-00. Little shiny on 1 end, but def. not damaged, and doubting that's the source of my noise. I respect my money more than to pay $60 for that little thing, I'll spend that $ on beer and be much happier with my purchase. Clacking on.....

Comment

Working...
                  X