ox66 clacking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ox66 clacking noise

New to me 2001 sx225txrz. Idles quiet. Runs like a scalded dog. But any rpm fron 900 to 1400 rpm sounds clackity. Sounds like a loud injecter noise, but doubt that's it. Really hoping it's not the wrist pins. Never had 1 of these. Anybody ?

Might be the transfer tube under the O2 sensor, might want to pull it out and replace it, there is a new style, not sure if you have it or not.

Comment

How was the schooling? What did you learn?

Other than to bend down and kiss your arse good bye in the thunderstorms we had.

Comment

wrist pins are easy to check.
        remove all plugs.
        use a long #2 Phillips.
        rotate the crank lightly following the piston.
        when the piston starts down go about 1/2 way.
        hold the flywheel.
        now push on the piston with that long #2.
        any downward motion indicates bearing/pin failure.

my bet would be on a clogged O2 sensor draw tube.

when you remove it look for a shine on the tube.
        if it is shiney it has been moving.

Comment

Looked at that setup. You talking about the L shaped housing the the o2 sensor screws into or that cylindrical tube with the hole in it , that's part of that equation? And what's the fix ?

Comment

they said the tube,
            replace it if it is moving around.

also I believe some lift pumps can make a ticking noise if air is in them.

Comment

OK, so the tube is a solid piece, What keeps it from moving around ?

Comment

my guess again would be a tight fit

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  my guess again would be a tight fit
                  Also guessing but if its a metal tube, there's likely a rubber grommet at each end which keeps it tight..
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

just had it out and def. no grommet. Trying to understand how this tube functions. And clack clack clack is metal to metal
                    Last edited by scofflaw; 04-09-2017, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                      just had it out and def. no grommet. Trying to understand how this tube functions
                      For myself (and maybe 99Yam), can you bring up the parts fisch for the engine and point out the part #? It may show a grommet or some other information..

IDK if it pumps air, water or, but it's obviously loud enough for you to hear...
                      Scott

Comment

inept in the parts fish dept. sx225txrz....I'ts part of the O2 sensor ....so we be talking hot air.

Comment

Up on this page, in RED, is "purchase yamaha parts".

Type in the year, model and it'll bring you to the entire engine parts fisch.

IDK, where they put the o2 sensor on the fisch, probably in the mid section parts..

IDK the year of your engine to even get started...
                          Scott

Comment

I can't find the damn thing. In section labeled "electrical 3" there is a part labeled "sensor". For about $330? Maybe?

Comment

ok
                              now ya simply gotta look at the old one.
                              is one or both ends shiney?
                              is the tube clear?
                              should be about a 1/8ths hole through it.
                              also now ya gotta look for a tech bulliten concerning a mid year change in 03 for the O2 sensor mounting.
                              if the block has ever been replaced since 03 it uses the 04 and later mounting gaskets.
                              wont use the same as the 01.
                              bites a lot of DIY's.
                              there was also a bulliten about an updated O2 sensor draw tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X