No announcement yet.

worth repairing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, too much work on an old engine with who knows how many hours or which part will blow next. May move on to an ox66 250 hp. Would be nice to know if my lower unit will fit it.

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
      Nope, too much work on an old engine with who knows how many hours or which part will blow next. May move on to an ox66 250 hp. Would be nice to know if my lower unit will fit it.
      Still, nice to determine what caused the piston failure, seeing you have pulled it this far apart. You can determine how much the engine has worn out by inspecting what you can see.
      What makes you think your lower unit is in "better" condition?

Comment

Not sure how many hours can be expected out of a 23 year old engine. The piston in question did have a bit of rotational play, which makes me think ..wrist pins. Lower unit fluid comes out clean during service and doesn't even have any muck stuck to the magnet, never mind metal slivers or worst.

Moving on...corrosion and age comes into play here. Have my eye on a 2001 ox66 250. Looking to get back out on the water as soon as possible,and this engine is not my 1st choice, but available. Owner speaks broken English , which makes questions difficult. Everyone seems to want $4500 for an older 2 stroke.
        Dunno.....got my boat on my neighbors trailer in the driveway tonight.

Lots to think about...don't want to spend $4500 on a motor I can blow up in a week....Think I'll take the dog for a walk

Comment

Give Chris Carson in Key Largo a call. He use to provide a service where he would come to your house, remove the powerhead, take it back to Key Largo, repair it, test it and then drive back and reinstall it.
          He did mine in Jacksonville. I sold that boat and engines but I presently have an early 90's 150 that is still going strong.

Comment

If the block isn't scored (and doesn't need a re-bore) a machine shop can yank those broken bolts..

I'd at least pull the reed plate and yank that piston/rod and check the cylinder.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
            X