worth repairing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worth repairing?

My old trustworthy 1994 txrs 200 hp lost a cylinder today after many years and many hours of faithful service . Went into a partially seized moment after dropping the cylinder. Got good compression on the remaining 5 and 0 on that one. Bolt removal looks like it will be the issue...soooo.... what happenened and what to do. All 6 plugs look perfect. 80 n sunny.

My guess, as there is not enough info, is a piston melted due to overheat or running lean and overheating

Comment

Partially seized could be from fragments of rings/pistons - started out as larger fragments, then got chewed up and spit out.

Pull the plug and stick a scope in there.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Just got the boat on the lift a couple of hours ago. Water jacket part of the head came off easy, but head bolts are gonna need some heat at best.

When I spin it up, not hearing air escaping and plug on that cylinder looks perfect. Will put the torch to it tomorrow . Got limited tools and resources where I'm at.

Comment

Is this a primarily saltwater motor?....If it's a freshwater motor then your repair options may be better....especially regarding disassembly and removal of bolts and fasteners...

Comment

You can probably look straight down the spark plug hole with a good flash light and see damage...

Sounds like you may have another anchor...
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Salt water. And looks rough under the hood. Seeing the plugs look so perfect, maybe the oil pump failed? Not looking to be drilling n tapping for the next week or 2.

Would like to replace with something similar that I could make use of my lower unit and other parts. I'm sure pulling the power head would be a beast. Like said....got limited tools and resources here

Comment

How many hours on the '94? Just curious.

You must have trailered it somewhere warm. I thought you mentioned living in MA at one point. (Bless your heart, or anyone else that lives in these frigid places)

At some point it would be interesting to tear it down. Never know...

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                  Salt water. And looks rough under the hood. Seeing the plugs look so perfect, maybe the oil pump failed? Not looking to be drilling n tapping for the next week or 2.

Would like to replace with something similar that I could make use of my lower unit and other parts. I'm sure pulling the power head would be a beast. Like said....got limited tools and resources here
                  I agree!...if you could find a very similar motor that's running O.K., buy it and keep your old one for spare parts....spare lower unit, carbs, electricals, etc., etc.
                  How good would that be!....Try to find a similar freshwater motor....

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                    My old trustworthy 1994 txrs 200 hp lost a cylinder today after many years and many hours of faithful service . Went into a partially seized moment after dropping the cylinder. Got good compression on the remaining 5 and 0 on that one. Bolt removal looks like it will be the issue...soooo.... what happenened and what to do. All 6 plugs look perfect. 80 n sunny.
                    I would repair it.

Comment

I am in Cape Coral Florida, looking for a trailer to rent and a motor to buy.

Comment

Most the head bolts snapped off. Half moon shaped piece broken off right above the ring groove. No carbon or overheat issue seen.

Comment

Did it melt off or did ring stick and break taking part of piston with it?

Comment

Def. didn't melt. No cylinder scoring either. Also don't see much oil

Comment

with all of those broken head bolts, are you going to try and repair that block?

Comment

Working...
                              X