SHOWA trim tilt unit bebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOWA trim tilt unit bebuild

I posted on the forum a couple weeks ago that I was going to attempt to rebuild the tilt trim unit on my 150 hp. Yamaha . I got some very helpful advise from members ! Thanks . Well my parts came in and I put everything back together, last night I added fluid to the trim cylinders before capping them and filled the reservoir . I followed the instructions shown in a you tube video on bleeding the system . After several fills and runs through the up and down range I still have an issue. When I raise the motor up and switch to lower it is stuck and won't go down , if I raise on the outboard manually while holding the down switch the motor lowers but is ****ing on the way down ! Goes up fine !! Anyone have this problem or got any suggestions ?

Thanks, Mike

the down check valve or the pump assy.
    something was not installed correctly.

Comment

Thanks rodbolt17 !
      I could not find a diagram of the valve assembly or body to reference when putting her back together, was carful not to lose track of thing but who knows !! Any idea where to go for a detailed diagram of the SHOWA unit Yamaha used on the 2001 150hp ?

Thanks !

Comment

actually I do.
        it is in the drive train class room manual.
        I have a few just no way to post them.
        let me see what I can do.

Comment

rodbolt17 I tried to message you my email but your mailbox has exceeded capacity .

Comment

Rodbolt doesn't check his messages......

Comment

He normally does not look at or respond to PMs

Comment

Did the valve sub assembly (shown on diagram for 2001 150TXR) have a check ball inside of it? Did it fall out? Am I looking at the correct motor diagram?

Comment

When I separated the pump assembly form the main unit there was three things that when into three of the five holes. the top hole had a hollow pin with a ball in it under that was 2 screens an o-ring and another piece, in the middle hole was some type of pin . I just talked to a guy at a local marina near my house and he thinks there is air still in the system . He said if I took the unit apart it could take a lot of bleeding the system to remove the air ??????? does that make sense ...

Thanks, Mike

Comment

was it hard to remove you trim end caps ??? did you make a tool or buy one

Comment

Yes. You still may still have air in the system. Did you use the manual release as part of the bleeding process?

Comment

I have never done one, but when I read in some manuals they talked about filling some of the cylinders/things up as you put them back together

Comment

I bought a spanner wrench from marine tech tools , works great but pricy .
                          Yes the procedure I have done is raise the motor till it binds, connected a length of hose to the reservoir and a bottle of ATF and held the up button till it stop drawing ATF into the reservoir ! Then I open the manual release so fluid would spray out and ran the motor up and down 3 or 4 times . Did this twice , my concern is if there is air in the tilt ram tube its above the reservoir how will I get the air to travel to the reservoir to be vented out ?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            actually I do.
                            it is in the drive train class room manual.
                            I have a few just no way to post them.
                            let me see what I can do.
                            If possible, I would like to a copy too please Rodbolt, I have had a similar problem previously, I did find that when it was locked up & would not go down with trim button activation, I had to release manual release screw momentarily & then entire system works correctly again, then intermittantly it would lock in the full tilt up position again, once manual release is cracked all is good again.
                            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Towboat1 View Post
                              I bought a spanner wrench from marine tech tools , works great but pricy .
                              Yes the procedure I have done is raise the motor till it binds, connected a length of hose to the reservoir and a bottle of ATF and held the up button till it stop drawing ATF into the reservoir ! Then I open the manual release so fluid would spray out and ran the motor up and down 3 or 4 times . Did this twice , my concern is if there is air in the tilt ram tube its above the reservoir how will I get the air to travel to the reservoir to be vented out ?

Mike
                              I do not know.
                              That may have something to do with filling things as you put them together.
                              maybe Rod will post again and say the best way to bleed that unit.

some of the other units you open the manual release and move motor up and down by hand ,checking and filling reservoir as you go

Comment

Working...
                              X