No announcement yet.

Sealer on water pump??? WTH??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficult for me to criticize a mechanic that does what the manufacturer tells him to do. In the aviation world that is the law. Maybe he is an ex airplane mechanic that lost his license for not following the manufacturers installation instructions. Now he tries to do the right thing.

http://www.kvc.com.my/StorageAttachm...ebond-1530.pdf

Comment

I wonder how many people have paid attention to that detail of the drawing...

my F225 manual shows that substance as "Yamabond 4"

which "shopyamaha.com" describes as follows:

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Difficult for me to criticize a mechanic that does what the manufacturer tells him to do. In the aviation world that is the law. Maybe he is an ex airplane mechanic that lost his license for not following the manufacturers installation instructions. Now he tries to do the right thing.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

My manual shows Yamaha grease ONLY:

There is no mention of sealer for the cup, o-rings, etc..

Perhaps different models use it for some reason and maybe the factory initially used it. I know mine didn't EVER have sealer (even when I R&R'ed it the first time). This was the first time I've had to remove sealer...

With an O-Ring in-between the cup and housing, I don't know why you would want it sealed together? If there's nothing wrong with your cup, you could simply replace the smaller o-ring. "Sealed up" makes access much more difficult and the probability of destroying the cup trying to remove it...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-18-2017, 02:12 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

My manual shows Yamaha grease ONLY:

There is no mention of sealer for the cup, o-rings, etc..
          Interesting stuff. Looks like the F115, F150, and 3.3l F200-250 all used that same plastic housing/stainless steel "cartridge insert".

And yet - although my F225 Service Manual shows "Yamabond 4" in the diagram -

it seems the SM for YOUR F150 does not!

F225:

F150:

Comment

Buy whatever and use whatever you want. Yam also suggests using Loctite in odd places too. Broken housings generate more income. Townsend's mechanic decided to go one step further and gob on the seals as well.

I don't and will not use sealer on the cup or housing. My motor has never overheated in 6 years of use. Why make easy maintenance more difficult. The more difficult tasks seem to be avoided or put off until another season.
            Last edited by pstephens46; 02-18-2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I depends on who is getting the job of writing the manual it seems.

everyone has one of those opinions

Comment

This is the first time I've seen anything about sealer with the WP.

This engine and another 200HP Yamaha are the only Yamaha WP's I've changed out and the 200 (2 stroke), didn't have any sealer either...

And yes, the manual calls for loctite on the housing bolts, however there was none applied by the MT. I did use a very light coating of Yamaha's grease to the threads (per Rodbolt).

**What no one responded to is WHY there was sealer on / around the DRIVESHAFT cover (that covers the two seals). I found more crap in there as the very small slot/drain was about clogged up... I had to literally scrap the sealer away to inspect the seals (which were replaced 3 years ago). Now, water can drain when the engine is tilted (the seal tension springs should last a bit longer)

Is there anything in their manual about sealing that cover(there isn't in mine)??

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-18-2017, 05:46 PM.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  This is the first time I've seen anything about sealer with the WP.

This engine and another 200HP Yamaha are the only Yamaha WP's I've changed out and the 200 (2 stroke), didn't have any sealer either...

And yes, the manual calls for loctite on the housing bolts, however there was none applied by the MT. I did use a very light coating of Yamaha's grease to the threads (per Rodbolt).

**What no one responded to is WHY there was sealer on / around the DRIVESHAFT cover (that covers the two seals). I found more crap in there as the very small slot/drain was about clogged up... I had to literally scrap the sealer away to inspect the seals (which were replaced 3 years ago). Now, water can drain when the engine is tilted (the seal tension springs should last a bit longer)

Is there anything in their manual about sealing that cover(there isn't in mine)??

WP kits I get have new bolts and they have locktite on them already.

I would have a talk with the tech that did the water pump for you last time.

Rushing threw a job does not mean making a mess
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 02-18-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    WP kits I get have new bolts and they have locktite on them already
                    I got the kit (with the new bolts) and there was NO loctite on them...
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X