What year is this motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not much snow melt here.
    but it still would not be wise to approach me in my truck in a protest.
    I smoke to much to run and I am to old to fist fight.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Your model has Yamaha Command Link output. Engine data can be seen on an NMEA 2000 MFD.

Simply plug a Lowrance 0120-37 harness into the engine connector at one end and to your NMEA 2000 network at the other end. Voila.
      thanks boscoe. Do I need any other cables? I'd like to have the basic gauges show up and maybe GPH and hour meter. Does it have to be a lowrance unit or does it work with other brands with the nema 2000 plug?

Comment

Yamaha rotated their model years much like Detroit, new models came out in September. Being yours is a 08/05 date it could be designated as either an 05 or an 06. Probably not much difference either way.
        I have waddled my way through life acting like I knew where I was going and pretending it was important that I get there on time.

Comment

Originally posted by lsukevinc View Post
          thanks boscoe. Do I need any other cables? I'd like to have the basic gauges show up and maybe GPH and hour meter. Does it have to be a lowrance unit or does it work with other brands with the nema 2000 plug?
          Nope, no other cables are needed. It does not have to be a Lowrance brand cable. I just know the part number for the Lowrance cable from memory. With the exception of Raymarine, most of the NMEA 2000 connectors, cables and whatnot are compatible.

Now if and when you have the setup complete you have to make one small modification at the motor. Look in the front of the engine pan for two pink wires with a connector at each end. They should be held together with a bit of yellow tap. Remove the tape and the caps from each connector. Connect the connectors together. This will allow the engine ECU to provide trim data to the chart plotter.

Read more about it hear. If you are not using Lowrance just ignore the words Lowrance. This is just one of many ways to make the connections. Simplest way IMO but it is subject to debate. Different strokes for different folks.

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Connection.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Missed Again View Post
            Yamaha rotated their model years much like Detroit, new models came out in September. Being yours is a 08/05 date it could be designated as either an 05 or an 06. Probably not much difference either way.
            For years and years the production years for Yamaha models ran from April of one year through March of the following year. Progressively over time, Yamaha has changed the production years to now run from January of one year through the end of December the same year.

Even within a particular production year there can be differences within serials that are produced within that year.

The sooner folks get over thinking about model years and start thinking about the actual production date and the serial number of their specific motor, the better off they and all of us will be. Yamaha USA has tried to make it easier but folks can't leave the past behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Nope, no other cables are needed. It does not have to be a Lowrance brand cable. I just know the part number for the Lowrance cable from memory. With the exception of Raymarine, most of the NMEA 2000 connectors, cables and whatnot are compatible.

Now if and when you have the setup complete you have to make one small modification at the motor. Look in the front of the engine pan for two pink wires with a connector at each end. They should be held together with a bit of yellow tap. Remove the tape and the caps from each connector. Connect the connectors together. This will allow the engine ECU to provide trim data to the chart plotter.

Read more about it hear. If you are not using Lowrance just ignore the words Lowrance. This is just one of many ways to make the connections. Simplest way IMO but it is subject to debate. Different strokes for different folks.

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Connection.pdf

one more question, sorry. Do I need one of the nema 2000 starter cable kits, or will this cable get the information I want alone?

Comment

You need the starter kit. The Lowrance cable alone won't have power on it. That is where the network comes in.

Also, the connector at the end of the Lowrance won't physically plug into the NMEA 2000 port at the back of the chart plotter.
                Last edited by admin; 01-30-2017, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X