Trim cuts power to motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim cuts power to motor

I have an '03 200 HP 4 stroke on a Hurricane 237SD. There is an intermittent problem where the engine cuts out when I hit the trim button. I've replaced battery cables, battery switch and had the ignition switch and trim switch checked. At first the motor would stall at low speed and not start right back up. After work was done on it, it only seems to happen a high speeds and the motor doesn't stall but you feel the power loss and power returns when the trim switch is off. Trim relay has not been replaced yet. Mechanic says it's a $300 part.

Thanks for any help....

does the problem occur with both trim switches?

(on the remote control, and the engine cowling ?)

You say you replaced the battery cables - have you checked where the cables connect to the engine (ground and hot) ?

Whatever the cause is, I would not expect it to be the trim relay "per se"

Comment

It has to be wiring related. But nothing to do with trim and tilt relay wiring. Or, it could be the battery. On an older motor not uncommon at all.

When the trim motor is being activated the battery has to supply enough current to both run the trim motor and to run the motor. If there is a problem with either the battery itself not being able to provide the needed power, or if the wiring prevents the electrical power from getting to the brains of the motor, the motor is going to stumble and might die.

The motor is using more electrical power at high speed than at low speed. It is therefore more sensitive to a voltage drop issue at this time.

And don't forget to inspect all of the ground connection points as well as the positive power connection points. I have highlighted just a few of the connection points that might be the problem child.
      Last edited by boscoe99; 01-04-2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

It only seems to happens underway so have not tried the trim switch on the engine but I will try that, good idea.
        All battery connections on both ends were checked and cleaned. Also installed a new battery with higher output. I usually run with battery switch on ALL.
        The schematic should give my mechanic additional things to check.

thanks.

Comment

Battery cables can fail internally. Don't over look that as well.

Comment

I would also inspect the battery switch and all of its contacts,connections, and cables.

maybe experiment with the switch in different positions to see if acts the same in the different positions

Comment

To confirm the above ^^, can you direct wire the known, good battery to the engine WITHOUT the Battery switch?
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Battery switch and cables are new.

Comment

Once again Boscoe does not disaapoint in the diagram department. He's got a treasure trove I tell ya.

Since the battery, battery cables, and battery switch are new, aren't we talking about a voltage drop within the main harness? Or perhaps an accessory harness? All details so far have pointed towards a conductivity issue, no? Could be a wire within the harness or one of the bullet connectors.

If so, could he perform a voltage drop test to each wire in harness while activating trim?
                  Jason
                  1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Quote:

"At first the motor would stall at low speed and not start right back up. After work was done on it, it only seems to happen a high speeds"

What work was done on it, (the above mentioned parts or ? )

Scott

Comment

or it could be the updated isolater was never installed.
                      was a common issue and Yamaha addressed it.

don't understand why no one else remembers it.

but the early F200/225 had the issue of RPM loss when trim up.

tech bullitens were sent out.
                      \

Comment

You da man ^^
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post

\
                          Inquiring minds would like to know....why was the isolator updated?
                          What was wrong with the old one?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post

\
                            Most will never have heard anything about F200/F225 updates. My aging and tired mind can't (or won't remember everything). What did I have for breakfast this morning? Can't recall.

Wasn't an updated isolator if I am thinking of the issue that you bring up. It is called a "Lead Wire Assembly with Noise Filter". Hard to believe that it might be needed after all these years.

Comment

The mailman skipped my place when sending out that bulletin...........
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X