Not Yamaha but interesting IMO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did not matter what you knew.
    the piston/ring combo had a design flaw.
    I saw many with less than 20K burn copious amounts of oil and under hard acceleration actually blow the dipsick out and proceed to start blowing out the crankcase oil.
    by the time GM figured it out and corrected it the v8 desiel was a dead horse.
    once the piston/ring issue was resolved it was not a bad motor just way to heavy and hard on fuel for what it was.
    hotrodders later found the 350 olds desiel block was a good hot rod engine to convert back to gas.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      did not matter what you knew.
      the piston/ring combo had a design flaw.
      I saw many with less than 20K burn copious amounts of oil and under hard acceleration actually blow the dipsick out and proceed to start blowing out the crankcase oil.
      by the time GM figured it out and corrected it the v8 desiel was a dead horse.
      once the piston/ring issue was resolved it was not a bad motor just way to heavy and hard on fuel for what it was.
      hotrodders later found the 350 olds desiel block was a good hot rod engine to convert back to gas.
      He knew he could get a new engine out of it.

Comment

Yamaha has supplied a lot of Fv8 block/head assy's.
        I would not own one out of warrenty.
        in fact I would not own a 4.2L V6 out of warrenty.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          Yamaha has supplied a lot of Fv8 block/head assy's.
          I would not own one out of warrenty.
          in fact I would not own a 4.2L V6 out of warrenty.
          Would you own one if it was given to you?

Comment

only if I had an immediate resale for the 350.
            there is noting I like about that big monster.

Comment

At the 2010 Miami Boat Show they unveiled a 557 HP outboard using a GM 6.2L turbocharged block.

I wonder what the reliability and maintenance/service requirements are for these 557 HP outboards?

Anyone worked on or seen one?

Seven Marine | Technology

[IMG]engine__large by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]
              Chuck,
              1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

if you can afford that your simply not going to worry about fuel or maint cost.

Comment

I saw a go-fast boat down in Key Largo with 3 557 motors hanging on the transom....plenty of high powered/high priced rigs down in the Keys!!

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                    I saw a go-fast boat down in Key Largo with 3 557 motors hanging on the transom....plenty of high powered/high priced rigs down in the Keys!!
                    Back 2012 in the Keys I met Coach Jimmy Johnson of the Dallas Cowboys, Miami Hurricanes, and Miami Dolphins when he appeared in a seminar unannounced. Then he had a 39' SeeVee w/twin Cummins diesels. He just got off the boat carrying a Heineken light beer in hand and catchin' a good size Wahoo. His best team to coach, Miami Hurricanes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO60qiykRB4

Name of his boat(s), "Three Rings".

Apparently he has a new boat with four Yammies on the back now.
                    Rodbolt, maybe you can become Jimmy's personal mokanic? I'm sure he can afford you!

[IMG]JummyJohnsonsBoat6 by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]
                    Chuck,
                    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Based on Rodbolt's aversion to triples, betting the quads are not what he is looking for. Are they 300s or 350s?

Comment

I count FIVE Yammies on the back!!
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

all I see is 4

Comment

3 in the middle (sitting lower), one on each outside, port and starboard, (2 total) sitting higher...

*There might be 4, I only see 4 black "somethings" on the rear of the engines. Not the best angle to tell...
                            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-29-2016, 08:01 PM.
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

first time you have to do a 200 hr service on triple F350's you will understand why I detest them.
                              22 fasteners just to access the spark plugs per engine.
                              gearcase that is 133 lbs.
                              I weighed myself this morning after I ate my eggs and bacon.
                              136 lbs.
                              gearcase almost exceeds my safety limit.

for those that have never worked on an F350 with the hull on a work rack.
                              the motor is 7ft tall from skeg to top of hood.
                              now place the hull on a work rack and the top of the hood is about 10ft up.
                              that is about a basketball hoop.
                              every operation you do you are standing on a ladder.
                              multiply it by 3 and it takes about 16 hours for routine maint.

Comment

Working...
                              X