Not Yamaha but interesting IMO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Yamaha but interesting IMO

How an Etec electrical generation system works. Pretty clever methinks.

Now I am not liking the EMM having to be water cooled and integrating the R/R within it but that is a different issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xkdktkcVRc

wish they did not blow so often.
    on that note I have a 2007 175 Etec with less than 40 hours that I am asking 4000 dollars.
    have been for about 7 yrs.
    power head was replaced in 08 with a fully dressed 08 powerhead.

Comment

Demand for Etecs is simply nil. New or used.

I like the theory of what they do but in practice it does not all work out so well.

Comment

kinda like the old rotary valve motor.
        kinda like the optipop motors.
        almost as good as the Yamaha Z motors.

kinda what I figure the DFI Volvo is going to be.

kinda what I figure any electronic valve motor will be.

ya gotta remember I worked in the auto field when the Cadillac 8 6 4 motors were chunked upon an unsuspecting consumer.
        about the same time as the 350 olds desiel.
        I was a tech when all that crap went down.

Comment

Yep, I remember that GM 350 Diesel in the Olds and some Seville Cadillacs....what a dog of an engine....and at the time they were charging a premium $$$$ for that motor!....I'll still stick with my small block Chevy 350 gasoline motor anytime!!!!

Comment

I got sent to training on the Diesel 350 back in the 70s.
            only one I ever worked on was the one we took apart in the class

Comment

Don't forget the Vega! It had a miracle coating instead of steel cylinder liners.
              I believe the cars started burning oil between 10-15K miles. Great cars in the 1970s.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                Don't forget the Vega! It had a miracle coating instead of steel cylinder liners.
                I believe the cars started burning oil between 10-15K miles. Great cars in the 1970s.
                Got a great deal on a 72 Vega with a connecting rod thru thru the block!

Nothing a 283, 200 HP couldn't fix!!! That car (sleeper config) hauled a$$!

With the headers, it might have had 3" ground clearance.... , very ft heavy too and
                a challenge to turn in the snow!

Re the VTec, pretty neat technology. How well it holds up over time, hummm.
                If it's brand new technology, I'd wait a couple years till the bugs are worked out...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-25-2016, 08:49 AM.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  wish they did not blow so often.
                  What's the actual issue with them blowing up / failing?

Are the new ones any better?

(I never had a problem with the OLDER Evinrudes (block / rotational parts wise) V6 150, V4 140 looper)
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-25-2016, 08:46 AM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

buy a vega and watch it rust.
                    actually the olds 260 CID was an incredible swap.
                    easy to make 250 HP with and weighed 20LB more than the original briggs and Stratton.

VTEC has been about for about 20yrs.
                    Yamaha has used it since about 05.
                    Yamaha calls it VCT.

Comment

I don't think the Honda Vtec and Yamaha VCT are the same thing at all.

The Honda system can shift cams so as to vary the lift and duration for the valves.

The Yamaha system simply advances or retards the intake cam shaft with respect to the crank shaft. The lift and duration never change.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                        buy a vega and watch it rust.
                        actually the olds 260 CID was an incredible swap.
                        easy to make 250 HP with and weighed 20LB more than the original briggs and Stratton.

VTEC has been about for about 20yrs.
                        Yamaha has used it since about 05.
                        Yamaha calls it VCT.
                        was it Pontiac or someone else that had the small all aluminum V8.
                        2 people could walk up to a complete motor and trans assembly and pick it up with no problem.
                        I knew a guy back in High School that set one in a little foreign car( forget what it was).
                        had to knock out and redo the fire wall, set a longer steering column and sit in the back seat to drive it.
                        It would lift the front end off the ground.
                        the good old days

Comment

yes the Honda VTEC can not only alter cam timing it can also alter between a high and low speed lobe profile.
                          pretty neat.
                          done because Japan has a tax on engine displacement.
                          I don't mess much with the auto world anymore but I try to read a bit.
                          back in the 70's a Japanese auto company was trying to advance the 350 Chevrolet.
                          they claimed they wanted to form a partnership and claimed with their new head design you could gain 30% in fuel milage and 20% HP with just a cyl head change keeping all other parts the same.

chevy said it could not be done.

and thus the vortec head was born,after any patents expired.
                          the Japanese did it.

now we have 4bbl vortec motors with a stable smooth idle making 325 HP.

Comment

Ever watch the show Wheeler Dealers? Ed China the mechanic likes to take stuff apart to see how it works. A recent show covered his repair to a Honda Vtec motor. He used air pressure to show how the system worked while he manually rotated the crank shaft. Pretty damn nifty IMO.

The problem found was that the oil filter/strainer to the oil control mechanism was clogged. They bought the care for thousands off because the motor ran like crap. Only a filter change was needed to fix the problem. I imagine your life is like that. It is all so simple.

Comment

actually about the same thing happens when the VCT soliniod filter clogs.

wasn't the 260 olds it was the 215 all AL weiged in at less than 350 lb fully dressed.

the 260 ran well but in my opinion was a waste of cast iron.

now the really really neat one that I had the pleasure to play with was in a Pontiac lemans that had the old 250 inline six with overhead cam and a Rochester 4bbl.
                              was a factory option for about 3 years back in the mid-late 60's or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X