neutral safety switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
    All the passenger would have had to do is turn the key to the off position. I suspect he knew nothing about an airplane and was traumatized by what was going on. And lost his mind.

He could have also simply applied the brakes.
    Mmm, so killing the plane's engine was as easy as turning key off. My guess is after the incident the pilot had asked the passenger the same question. The passengers answer was probably something like, "i didn't know I was allowed to touch anything". The passenger was the pilots girlfriend, btw. Not to imply anything about females in the that particular scenario. But you know, their brains work differently in traumatic situations.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

I think it said something about a girl friend in the run away plane, but could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        I think it said something about a girl friend in the run away plane, but could be wrong
        Yes and it was also said she was taken to the hospital due to being in such a state of shock. Medical care was a little different a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
          Mmm, so killing the plane's engine was as easy as turning key off. My guess is after the incident the pilot had asked the passenger the same question. The passengers answer was probably something like, "i didn't know I was allowed to touch anything". The passenger was the pilots girlfriend, btw. Not to imply anything about females in the that particular scenario. But you know, their brains work differently in traumatic situations.
          Let's not blame her. Blame the dummy who didn't set the brakes! He was so distracted that I wonder what she looked like?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
            What do you mean by traumatic situations? Is a normal every day occurrence traumatic for the other gender? My wife and I are definitely not from the same planet. I can't get her to take the wheel of the boat. A six year old boy would be fighting me to take the controls.

Comment

Speaking of brakes, there are toe brakes and heel brakes in airplanes. Depends upon the model.

I can say first hand that a Taylor Craft airplane does not have toe brakes. It has heel brakes. On the pilot side only.

First time I got in one I started to taxi for a familiarization flight with my buddy, who had flown one, in the co-pilots seat. Needed to brake and make a turn. Had never flown an airplane with heel brakes before. Toe brakes only. Think I could find them? Hell no. Buddy kept saying you better get us stopped, while I frantically tried to find and apply the brakes. Put the nose of the airplane about six inches from a taxiway sign before I could find the brakes and get the airplane stopped. Buddy had to get out and pull us backwards so that we could clear the sign.

Lesson learned. Most (all) of my learning has been via my mistakes. Hopefully no one got hurt and nothing got damaged in the learning process. Not that I haven't hurt myself and damaged some stuff along the way.

Comment

What do you mean by traumatic situations? Is a normal every day occurrence traumatic for the other gender? My wife and I are definitely not from the same planet. I can't get her to take the wheel of the boat. A six year old boy would be fighting me to take the controls.
                How about simply tying off a cleat? Nope. Starts every single time by making a loop and trying to shove it through the middle to then try to create a KNOT on top of the damn thing. My son got it the first time I demonstrated.

Comment

Speaking of brakes, there are toe brakes and heel brakes in airplanes. Depends upon the model.

I can say first hand that a Taylor Craft airplane does not have toe brakes. It has heel brakes. On the pilot side only.

First time I got in one I started to taxi for a familiarization flight with my buddy, who had flown one, in the co-pilots seat. Needed to brake and make a turn. Had never flown an airplane with heel brakes before. Toe brakes only. Think I could find them? Hell no. Buddy kept saying you better get us stopped, while I frantically tried to find and apply the brakes. Put the nose of the airplane about six inches from a taxiway sign before I could find the brakes and get the airplane stopped. Buddy had to get out and pull us backwards so that we could clear the sign.

Lesson learned. Most (all) of my learning has been via my mistakes. Hopefully no one got hurt and nothing got damaged in the learning process. Not that I haven't hurt myself and damaged some stuff along the way.
                  Surprised at you Boscoe, younger years I guess. Didn't you guys use your Pre-Flight Inspection check list?

My younger years were spent flying around in my best friends N8523U, 1964 Cessna 172F Skyhawk. Never had a pilots license, only flew right seat. Checked the tail # and it is still in use today

Here's the Pre-flight check list for it.

[IMG]C172 by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Too bad boat fuel tanks don't have a sump and drain line to draw and check our fuel for contaminants like aircraft!

Guess during the age of that video they didn't have many check lists?
                  Chuck,
                  1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

What is a check list? We don't need no stinkin check list.

Comment

Chuck, missed one in pre-flight....

Comment

What is a check list? We don't need no stinkin check list.
                        OK! Is that rum in that coke bottle in this pic:

[IMG]C172Crash by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]
                        Chuck,
                        1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          Let's not blame her. Blame the dummy who didn't set the brakes! He was so distracted that I wonder what she looked like?
                          No blame on the passenger whatsoever. My statement was whether or not something could have been done by the passenger, not that it was his/her responsibility to do anything. Big difference.
                          Jason
                          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Perhaps it should have had a neutral safety switch?? That is what the post is about (I think)

Comment

even a neutral safety switch will not keep all motors from starting in gear if you turn them over by hand( crank manually), it just keeps the key switch or button from energizing the electric operated starter

Comment

Working...
                              X