Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neutral safety switch

I'm having intermittent starting problems with my 2006 Yamaha F150
    and I'm pretty sure the issue is my neutral safety switch. I have a 704 binnacle ontrol box. Is the switch in the binnacle or somewhere else?
    Thanks

The neutral switch as in the rubber lock out button on shifter? How would this affect starting?

Comment

Yes, the neutral safety switch is contained within the 704 control box. It affects the ability of the motor to be cranked, not started. There is a difference between the two. Of course if the motor is not cranked then it is not going to start.

Last edited by boscoe99; 12-11-2016, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        There is a difference between the two. Of course if the motor is not cranked then it is not going to start.
        I see that terminology "gap" often at that other site;

a few weeks back I read a complaint of "it starts, but it won't crank".

I've always been slightly uncomfortable myself with the phrase "turn over".

To me, it is synonymous with "crank" but not quite as distinct....

Comment

Speaking of "turn over", I once watched some guys try to roll a Yamaha F225 on an engine stand out of a truck.

Does the term "high center of gravity" come to mind?

Then there is "tick over". Which is what I think the Brits and Aussie's use to mean idle RPM.

Comment

There is a difference between the two. Of course if the motor is not cranked then it is not going to start.
            Oh boy, then it sounds like I need to learn the proper terminology. I never minded the phrase "turn over", cause it can only mean one thing: the engine starts. As in, "Does it turn over?", or, "It won't turn over". But to each's own.

Cranking is the process of the engaged starter motor turning the flywheel, which is turning the crankshaft...so on and so on. Once combustion occurs, you're engine is running. Is this the proper description of "cranking"?

If someone said to me the engine won't crank, I'm taking that as it's dead...as in the starter motor does not respond when turning key. The engine cranks but won't start...that's telling me starter motor is engaged, flywheel is turning, no combustion.

What's my report card?
            Jason
            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

In my view an engine has to be cranked in order for it to start. If it starts, it then should run. As opposed to starting and dying.

Now the term "to crank" really means the crank shaft is being rotated. Technically, the crank shaft is being turned so as to get the motor started so that it will then run. Some use the term "turning over" for cranking but I try to not use that term.

In the olden days engines did not use electric motors to rotate the engine to get it started. A separate tool, a crank shaft, was used. Thus the origin of the words "to crank a motor". If one was not careful, the motor could kick back and turn in the opposite direction if the ignition and rotation of the motor was just right. The crank shaft tool being used to rotate the motor would also turn backwards which could break the "crankers" arm. Happened to my cousin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZH04xiYRrM

Comment

In the olden days engines did not use electric motors to rotate the engine to get it started.
                You surely know about this - I have some vague memory from my youth - must have seen in a "movie"-

did people really stand on a stepladder in front of an airplane propeller and spin it to start the engine?

Comment

yep
                  I have actually started some that way.
                  a 1922 or so buick my dad had.
                  spin it a few times.
                  set the magneto control
                  bring it up on a compression stroke.
                  give it a snap.

Comment

We had an small old Farmal tractor we used for the gardens we had back in the 60s, that had a hand crank on it along with a 6 volt electric start system.
                    Had my thumb sprained (bent back where it should not go) trying to hand crank that thing.
                    I would pull start it with a truck after that if it would not start with the 6 volt starter.
                    To me cranking over and turning over mean the same thing.
                    Firing off or starting mean the plugs fire the fuel and motor runs.
                    hopefully the pug fires when it should and not push the piston back the wrong direction

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                      You surely know about this - I have some vague memory from my youth - must have seen in a "movie"-

did people really stand on a stepladder in front of an airplane propeller and spin it to start the engine?
                      Never heard of anyone standing on a ladder (good footing is needed) but definitely a propeller driven piston motor can be started by swinging the propeller. Have done it myself on all too many occasions. In my youth when I did not fully understand the dangers involved.

Here is an old video that shows just one of the stupid things that can happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTM-paAXCo

Comment

Thanks for the reply boscoe99

Do I have to tear the whole control box down to get to the switch or is there an easier way?

Comment

The control box is actually pretty simple to pull apart, as long as the screws come out OK, it simply splits in half.

Comment

Never heard of anyone standing on a ladder (good footing is needed) but definitely a propeller driven piston motor can be started by swinging the propeller. Have done it myself on all too many occasions. In my youth when I did not fully understand the dangers involved.

Here is an old video that shows just one of the stupid things that can happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTM-paAXCo
                            Whoa, what an incredible video! Did the passenger have the ability to cut the engine? That runaway plane scenario took place for quite a bit of time, surely enough time to locate an ignition key, engine kill switch, something, right? I have zero knowledge of airplane ****pit controls, but I would assume there is a kill switch easily accessible??
                            Jason
                            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

All the passenger would have had to do is turn the key to the off position. I suspect he knew nothing about an airplane and was traumatized by what was going on. And lost his mind.

He could have also simply applied the brakes.

Comment

Working...
                              X