Twin 150 Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin 150 Died

Was crabbing on a friends boat yesterday and on the way back to the marina both F150 died simultaneously. Tried re-starting but wouldn't idle. I'm certain it's water in the gas. Got towed back to his slip.
    He plans to remove both Racor water separator filter, motor filter and replace with new.
    Anything else he should do?

either it wouldn't run because water kept a filter from passing fuel through,
    it thats possible -

or it wouldn't run because water made it all the way to the injectors.

In the latter case, I would change the filters as already planned, connect up good gas,
    and then -
    drain the VST, refill with the primer bulb, turn key on to recirculate through the fuel rail.
    repeat several times.

Then, hopefully, start and run.

Comment

I'll pass this info to him. I'll report his findings. Thanks

Comment

If it is water in filters and VST, he needs to drain and clean the tanks and system.
        Otherwise it will happen again over and over.

if no water found monitor fuel pressures to see if they are in spec.
        strange how both went at once.
        maybe the pumps are not getting power or ground.
        But then are you sure there was any spark
        Last edited by 99yam40; 12-08-2016, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          If it is water in filters and VST, he needs to drain and clean the tanks and system.
          Otherwise it will happen again over and over.

But then are you sure there was any spark
          I've already advised him that the tank has to be drained if water is found in the system. But first he has to shuttle his 25' Pilothouse from the Marina, some two miles to the launch ramp then load it on his trailer to bring home.

He has spark. When he tried starting them, each motor ran rough for a few seconds then died at idle.

Comment

If I were to ever get water into the main fuel filter cup I would want to know about it. ASAP. It would be a piece of cake to tap into the water sensor switch so that it could illuminate an LED warning lamp at the dash if and when water got to the filter cup.

Mr. Fairdeal could gin one up in about half an hours time.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              If I were to ever get water into the main fuel filter cup ...
              ..tap into the water sensor switch so that it could illuminate an LED warning lamp at the dash if and when water got to the filter cup.

Mr. Fairdeal could gin one up in about half an hours time.

Pray tell Mr. Fairdeal .

Comment

Don't believe I have a switch or water sensor on my F150TXRD. There would be wires from the bottom of cup, correct?

Comment

the D model did not have water detect.
                  clean the engine filters, drain the VST.
                  refill the VST with clean fuel.
                  once running open the VST drain again.
                  do it soon.
                  it died because water was being injected.
                  water and shiney metal parts do not get along.
                  however it is water cooled.
                  fill the fuel system with water and they don't overheat.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    Don't believe I have a switch or water sensor on my F150TXRD. There would be wires from the bottom of cup, correct?
                    Nope, just that "red ring", cup has nothing attached to it in the earlier models.

As noted, drain AND CATCH what comes out of the VST. It'll be quite obvious..

No transom fuel / water separator??

My 2006 F150 with the Red ring:
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-09-2016, 09:19 AM.
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Your motor does not have the filter cup with a sensor in the bottom. Introduced after your model. April 2006 and later got them.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        Nope, just that "red ring", cup has nothing attached to it in the earlier models.

As noted, drain AND CATCH what comes out of the VST. It'll be quite obvious..

No transom fuel / water separator??

My 2006 F150 with the Red ring:
                        Bout time for Townsend to fire up this boat and get some salt on it. You did say you were waiting for cooler weather?

Comment

Bout time for Townsend to fire up this boat and get some salt on it. You did say you were waiting for cooler weather?
                          Probably next week... Just had a cold front come thru. It's 58F right now at 6:30P, brrrrr.

Need a pic of the bow/engine on the water, underway?? New screen saver??
                          Scott

Comment

Terribly cold here at 43 degrees. Looks like you will be 80 on Sunday.

Comment

Terribly cold here at 43 degrees. Looks like you will be 80 on Sunday.
                              Yep, that's about right this time of year. I don't go out on weekends, it's like the interstate on Thanksgiving weekend!

Gorgeous bike riding weather too, just have to avoid the "cages". With the cooler weather, the bike is running the best ever!
                              Wind her up to 10K, 3/4 throttle (14K red line), super smooth, you can actually see thru the mirrors...
                              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-10-2016, 07:55 AM.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X