No announcement yet.

Twin 150 Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm embarrassed to post this, one thing I am not proud of. Here's my boat mess as far as the fuel filter/water separator location goes:

[IMG]My Boat Mess by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Been meaning to get to neatening it up. In this small starboard stern above deck storage area is my fuel filter/water separator, most all wiring from center council to engine, transducer cables, steering and throttle cables, and trim tab wiring/pump. To replace the filter cartridge, I almost always spill a bit of fuel into the bilge.

That storage area is open to my bilge below deck. I don't really like the filter/separator there, but it is protected from any outside jarring damage. I fish and snorkel a lot on this small boat, Sometimes it gets frantic when your catching a bunch of Dolphin or a good size sailfish.

What I am trying to say is that depending on how you use your boat, you need to decide what you feel is best for placing your water separator/fuel filter and what type you will use. I'll keep my water separator/fuel filter where it is and continue to use the metal filter without plastic bowl. I have not had any water in fuel problem but will remove/check more frequently

Plastic bowls? Although most times reliable, I won't trust them in my use of the boat above or below deck. Heat, sun, additives, physical damage; I feel more confident without them.

My opinion, sorry Scott!
    Last edited by cpostis; 12-15-2016, 04:34 PM.
    Chuck,
    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Heck, that doesn't bother me. Since re-powering, I noticed just a knats hair of water in the VST (not a half cup total since 1997).

I went to non-ethanol and use my K100. You won't find a drop in my system.

Prior to using the cup, I had the steel only cup which I checked when replacing, again, no water. I just wanted an extra layer of protection, especially for the FI. Now, I do keep a brand new steel cup only filter under the CC along with a strap wrench and my box of tools, owners and SHOP manual.

Should that cup break/leak, etc, give me 10 minutes and it's swapped out...

After the shop re-powered, I spent a full day under the console "fixing" the get it done as fast as you can wiring job and neatened it up. In the battery box area, with engine cables, depth finder cables, etc, that's all nice and neat, long coils of wire-wound up and zip tied neatly.

All MY wiring under the console, stereo, GPS depth finder , 4 speakers, 2 electrical outlets, etc, are all in order (LABELED near EACH fuse/wire)...

The boat harness, etc, I didn't have to do anything with...

*BTW, I have the exact same aluminum filter mount you have and it WAS in the same condition. Pulled it out, the gasket surface was good. Wire wheeled the snot out of it and gloss Rustoleum applied. That has held up and still looks new (it's ONLY one I ever had on the boat, NEVER REPLACED-but the boat does sit under a canopy). So, it's well over 15 years old...
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

UPDATE:

Both VST’s were emptied and lines flushed. Starboard motor’s VST had to be removed to clean the jet due to salt-water sediment. Both motor’s spark plugs were changed. The shop used a remote tank to start the motors and they purred like new.

Boat’s tank will be drained and cleaned today so will post the results later.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
          UPDATE:

Both VST’s were emptied and lines flushed. Starboard motor’s VST had to be removed to clean the jet due to salt-water sediment. Both motor’s spark plugs were changed. The shop used a remote tank to start the motors and they purred like new.

Boat’s tank will be drained and cleaned today so will post the results later.
          then he needs to find out how the saltwater got into the tank.
          I would have thought they would have pulled and cleaned the VSTs and cleaned or replaced all screen/filters

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            then he needs to find out how the saltwater got into the tank.
            I would have thought they would have pulled and cleaned the VSTs and cleaned or replaced all screen/filters

They did, I just wrote an abbreviated report .

Friend will check on how saltwater entered and will post.

Comment

I was told that the filler cap's gasket was dried and brittle and apparently while underway seawater splashed into the recessed area on top of the fill tube thus allowing water to seep into the tank. IMO the boat's filler cap was poorly designed. At any event, he was able to install a replacement gasket.

I help drained the boat's tank. The first 15-gallon or so was contaminated but the remaining 60 gallon was clear. He didn't feel comfortable putting that back in so all 75 gallons will go to the landfill that accepts gas at a nominal fee per gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
                so all 75 gallons will go to the landfill that accepts gas at a nominal fee per gallon.
                bless you.

It sickens me when I read posts on boating/fishing boards about dumping fuel on the ground on in the water.

Comment

If you know anyone with land that has brush piles that need burning I am sure they would take it.

I believe I Read something about some net coating places that would take it to thin out there dip tanks
                  That is a lot of gas tho.

are they going to get it all out or will some residue be left down there at bottom of tank to mix with the new fuel?
                  water is bad, but sea water is worse
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 12-21-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X