No announcement yet.

Twin 150 Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went back to my friends boat yesterday brought tools to drain the fuel lines.
    First thing was to remover one of the Racor filter and found this.

Rather than mess with it at the marina's slip, I recommended that he load his 25' Raider Pilothouse boat on its trailer and tow it to a shop to drain and flush his tank and service both his motors. BTW he's been filling up at that marina's fuel dock exclusively for the pass couple of years.
    Last edited by Reel Kahuna; 12-13-2016, 10:46 AM.

Comment

that does not look like gas

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        the D model did not have water detect.
        clean the engine filters, drain the VST.
        refill the VST with clean fuel.
        once running open the VST drain again.
        do it soon.
        it died because water was being injected.
        water and shiney metal parts do not get along.
        however it is water cooled.
        fill the fuel system with water and they don't overheat.
        It has taken way too long to address this,
        as Rodbolt said it needs to be addressed as soon as possible to keep that water from screwing a lot of things up.
        Even if using a portable tank hooked up to get fresh /clean fuel into the motor to flush out and get the motors running it needs to be done to get the water out of the motors internals and systems

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          ...Even if using a portable tank hooked up to get fresh /clean fuel into the motor to flush out and get the motors running it needs to be done to get the water out of the motors internals and systems

Exactly what I recommended to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
            Went back to my friends boat yesterday brought tools to drain the fuel lines.
            First thing was to remover one of the Racor filter and found this.

Rather than mess with it at the marina's slip, I recommended that he load his 25' Raider Pilothouse boat on its trailer and tow it to a shop to drain and flush his tank and service both his motors. BTW he's been filling up at that marina's fuel dock exclusively for the pass couple of years.
            Don't assume the source of water is the marina's supply. Besides what others say, I would check for sources within your friends fuel system (Fuel fill up deck fills, gaskets, and caps, vent lines fill up hoses and fittings, sender access plate gaskets, even the top of the tank, etc.).

Some may be difficult to get to, but would hate to see your friend to do it all over again!

One thing he may want to try with the marina's fuel if you suspect water contamination is the "Dye-test" (Ok other members, don't laugh, it works). Fill a container like you have done with the Racor's fuel direct from the pump, add a drop of water based food dye into the container of gas, if it falls like a single blob (like the old "wave in a bottle) it should not have any water in it, if it mixes with the gas and turns the mixture a lighter color of the dye, you can bet there is water in it.
            Chuck,
            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

that does not look like gas
              Is that from both filter separators?
              was there no clear fuel or water that cam out?
              I do not see any line of separation in the stuff in that jar

Did it even smell like gas?

Comment

Is that from both filter separators?
                was there no clear fuel or water that cam out?
                I do not see any line of separation in the stuff in that jar

Did it even smell like gas?
                99:
                I do see a faint separation line at the top of the sample. I assume this is just after he poured the filter contents into the sample jar and did not yet settle. I also assume that the Racors did their job and filled up with mostly water to it's capacity. If he were to install new filters and draw another sample, I would think it would not be nearly as bad. However, there would definitely still be contaminated fuel.

Why does gasoline turn cloudy when there is water mixed in? Because water molecules reflect light much more than gasoline. The yellow tint is more than likely from the mixture of "yellow gas" and the water in suspension.

Here's a link to some good information dealing with avgas and contaminants, should pertain to the gasoline we use as well.

FUELSYSTEMCONTAMINATION
                Chuck,

Comment

Agreed, that nasty stuff doesn't look like fuel at all. Amazing it ran at all

Besides draining (all the above mentioned), replace the Racor with a drain-able cup at the bottom. You can see it VERY easily, loosen the drain screw and drain any and all crap out BEFORE it even gets to the engine.

Also, when he fills up again, bring your jar and put some new fuel in it (and quickly examine before filling).
                  As much as what's in there, it wouldn't surprise me the filler vent, etc, is leaking water (wash down, rain, etc)..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-13-2016, 02:51 PM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I'll be helping him pull his boat out this Sunday and he has a shop appointment on Monday.

Comment

Well, all this talk of water/contaminants in fuel got me thinking, Just how does a water separator/fuel filter work? What do the guts look like?

So I looked up on the good old WWW., and found only a bit from a manufacturer that no longer makes them. Look at this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctL7WLZYfvk

Than I found an old cartridge in the back of my shed and cut it open. The filter was clean as a whistle, however there was a bit of sediment in the bottom of the metal cartridge.

[IMG]Water Separator Filter by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Water Separator Filter.1.pg by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Seems to me unfiltered fuel enters through the small diameter holes in the top of the cartridge, water and sediments drop to the bottom of the cartridge canister, fuel continues though the filter and passes through the large diameter hole in the top of the cartridge on to the engine.
                      Now, once the cartridge is filled with water past the capacity anywhere above the paper filter, water can/will pass on to the fuel line and to the engine. If you dump your fuel cartridge into a glass container, you will have a mixture of unfiltered fuel (including contaminants and water).

IMO this is what has happened to Reel Kahuna's friend situation. That sample probably is less than 10% fuel. Thus the milky yellow color.

A transparent bowl would definitely catch a water separator reaching it's capacity before does if monitored. If the water separation is near the top of the bowl, you will still have more capacity inside the metal cartridge.

More discussion?
                      Chuck,

Comment

Yamaha actually offers a clear bowl - with water sensor - for the spin-on "Racor" type filter.

However, the water sensor requires the circuitry of the Yamaha Fuel Management Gauge to function.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/66b9rvak1/]

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                          Yamaha actually offers a clear bowl - with water sensor - for the spin-on "Racor" type filter.

However, the water sensor requires the circuitry of the Yamaha Fuel Management Gauge to function.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/66b9rvak1/]
                          I have wondered if an LED was powered by the boats battery, with the LED ground going to and through the Yamaha (Racor) water sensor, if the LED will illuminate when the sensor is submerged in water. What say yee?

Comment

Leds normally do not like 12 volts ,
                            need to get the voltage down low enough to meet the LEDs needs. probably why they say circuitry.

Comment

Leds normally do not like 12 volts ,
                              need to get the voltage down low enough to meet the LEDs needs. probably why they say circuitry.
                              No they don't.

I should have stated an LED that is wired for 12 volts. The kind from Radio Shack and other places. That have resistors built in.

Or maybe 4/5 LED's wired in series.

Comment

KISS......

Peek at the clear bowl.

If you see a line (separating water from fuel), un-screw the drain screw and drain the water-done.

All that ^^ above, just more stuff to break....

My 2cts..
                                Scott
                                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                                X