No announcement yet.

Cleaning Thermostat Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, because I am on a lift, I can lower my engine all the way down. It is however very difficult for me to attach muffs. In addition, it is my understanding that you get better water flow through the block if the engine is in the UP position. My Owner's Manual also indicates to flush from the garden hose fitting with the engine UP.

Let me add this fact:
    I had a Yamaha Shop install my new T-Stats 3 years ago. It might be possible that they installed the new T-Stats but may NOT have cleaned the T-Stat housing area. If my Yamaha Shop didn't clean the T-Stat housing, then the salt build up in my photo could be from 1,200 hours of use. Not sure what the standard protocol is.

Scott:
    In answer to your question, I found the best tools to do the cleaning was (1) a long handled flat head screw driver to do some scraping followed by (2) a flexible Pipe brush wrapped in Stainless Steel wool. The pipe brush diameter was similar to the T-Stat housing. Twisting this brush and SS wool in the housing area worked like a ram rod and pad you'd use when cleaning a rifle barrel.
    Last edited by HMBJack; 12-06-2016, 11:33 PM.
    Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Originally posted by HMBJack View Post
      It is however very difficult for me to attach muffs. In addition, it is my understanding that you get better water flow through the block if the engine is in the UP position. My Owner's Manual also indicates to flush from the garden hose fitting with the engine UP.
      Using the powerhead hose connection is when the engine should be up, engine down when flushing engine with muffs and engine ON. The former is because no water pump is involved, therefore the water pressure coming from the spicket is the sole means to move water through cooling system. Tilting engine up is to allow gravity to move water into passages it normally wouldn't if engine was down.

Let me add this fact:
      I had a Yamaha Shop install my new T-Stats 3 years ago. It might be possible that they installed the new T-Stats but may NOT have cleaned the T-Stat housing area. If my Yamaha Shop didn't clean the T-Stat housing, then the salt build up in my photo could be from 1,200 hours of use. Not sure what the standard protocol is.
      Unfortunately this wouldn't be a surprise to me. Actually, if your stat housings were quite corroded and they did clean it out they probably would have charged you for the labor it took to completely clean. Because as you now know, this takes some time.
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Kinda basic stuff, but direct from Yamaha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJaTjMOEKP0
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          and I never run an F225 on the muffs.
          I typically flush using the port with the engine idling.
          I do my F150 the same way.
          however with the engine off flush water may or may not make it to the top of the cyl head.
          almost all Yamaha tell tales stay cold as the water is typically taken from a spot BEFORE it gets a chance to cool anything other than maybe a fuel cooler.

I think the older F and T 9.9/15 used a combination of T stat discharge and cold water.
          Just a novice question, but after reading this thread, is it possible to flush a docked boat with the motor raised, through a running flush attachment, and with the engine idling for ten minutes without damaging the motor if proper water pressure is maintained?
          The main reason I'm asking is because I work with water soluble fertilizers which are types of salts and I notice that salts are way more soluble in warm to hot water versus cool to cold water. So in my mind I'm thinking that the warmer the fresh water is running through the engine, the more salt will be flushed out of the engine over time.
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris11 View Post
            Just a novice question, but after reading this thread, is it possible to flush a docked boat with the motor raised, through a running flush attachment, and with the engine idling for ten minutes without damaging the motor if proper water pressure is maintained?
            My neighbor has a 140 HP, 2 stroke Suzuki that's extremely noisy on muffs (stored on 4 post lift).

He'll put the muffs on the engine, lower the engine (LU) into the water (so it's quieter), run the water and engine...

On his engine, his pisser DOES put out warm water once warmed up so we know the thermostat is open.....

He'll run the water a little bit after lifting the boat again...
            Scott

Comment

Scott,
              Thanks for the idea. I never thought about flushing a motor that way and I will try it next Spring when I get my boat back in the water. I will also add some food grade dye into the water at the base of the motor just make sure that I am not sucking up any salt water past the muffs and into the engine. I will post back next Spring with the outcome.
              Thanks,
              Mike

Comment

Your welcome Mike...

It should work being you have say 60PSI fresh water pushing into the LU.

The salt water, if anything, is being pushed away. The higher pressure/volume FRESH WATER (with tight fitting muffs) should work fine.

Merry Christmas!!!
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris11 View Post
                  I will also add some food grade dye into the water at the base of the motor just make sure that I am not sucking up any salt water past the muffs and into the engine.
                  Aww man, food dye is for sissies. You've got to have an intimate relationship with your motor. Bess cozy up under the TT while she's running on muffs, then open up. Get a good mouthful. Swish around. You'll know immediately if you're pulling in salt water because of your pucker face.
                  Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                    Aww man, food dye is for sissies. You've got to have an intimate relationship with your motor. Bess cozy up under the TT while she's running on muffs, then open up. Get a good mouthful. Swish around. You'll know immediately if you're pulling in salt water because of your pucker face.
                    Very true!

But just a touch from your finger to mouth coming out the pisser will work..

(Now that, ^^ doesn't sound right, "not that there's anything wrong with it!")
                    Scott

Comment

also do not forget to take the muffs off once finished flushing.
                      had a friend do that on a trailered boat one time.
                      the motor will overheat once you head out on the water.
                      It is hell to get old and forgetful

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        also do not forget to take the muffs off once finished flushing.
                        had a friend do that on a trailered boat one time.
                        the motor will overheat once you head out on the water.
                        It is hell to get old and forgetful
                        Dam, I've never heard of someone doing that. But I have seen someone at an auto gas station leave the nozzle in the tank after filling, then start car and take off. So you know, seems equal absentminded.
                        Jason

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                          Very true!

But just a touch from your finger to mouth coming out the pisser will work..

(Now that, ^^ doesn't sound right, "not that there's anything wrong with it!")
                          I had a flashback memory from my childhood after my last post. My father and I were cleaning the boat, engine on muffs. He filled his cupped hands full of water exiting the TT, brought his hands up to his nose to smell, then dumped the water from his hands and licked his palm. It's funny cause at that young age of 10 or so I thought for sure he was just kidding around with me.
                          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                            I had a flashback memory from my childhood after my last post. My father and I were cleaning the boat, engine on muffs. He filled his cupped hands full of water exiting the TT, brought his hands up to his nose to smell, then dumped the water from his hands and licked his palm. It's funny cause at that young age of 10 or so I thought for sure he was just kidding around with me.
                            Neat... Some of us old guys still have some tricks up our sleeves....
                            Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X