White/Red White/Red
    White/Black White/Black
    White/Green White/Green
    Black/Orange #1 Ignition Coil for #1 (Top) Cylinder
    Black/White #2 Ignition Coil for #2 (Middle)Cylinder
    Black/Yellow #3 Ignition Coil for #3 (Bottom) Cylinder

My old CDI unit does not have the two orange and orange/green wires(***),
    which are for head temperature sensor. I would like to know how to connect
    them or where can i get the info i need.

help with cdi unit p50tlrq

I have a old 1992 2 stroke yamaha 50hp P50TLRQ. with a bad cdi unit. But i would like to purchase a new cdi unit and i noticed the new has two extra orange and orange/green wire`s. before i puchase i would like to know how to connect them correctly.

Comment

what color wires are going to your 2 head temperature switches on your motor right now?

Comment

What part number CDI did you buy?

The parts book shows that the motor was delivered with 6H5-85540-02-00. That is the same part number being provided today as a replacement. Wire configuration should be the same.

Service manual and parts book show 12 wires from the CDI.

1. Black = ground
        2. W/R = Pulser coil
        3. W/B = Pulser coil
        4. W/G = Pulser coil
        5. L = Charge coil
        6. Br = Charge coil
        7. B/O = Ign coil #1
        8. B/W = Ign coil #2
        9. B/Y = Ign coil #3
        10. W = Kill switch
        11. P = Thermoswitch/warning horn ground
        12. Y = Not used

Methinketh perhaps you don't have the correct replacement CDI. But...

Comment

help with cdi unit yamaha p50tlrq

the cdi unit that's on my motor right know is 6H5-85540-00-00. which is bad
          With these connections:

1. Black = ground
          2. W/R = Pulser coil
          3. W/B = Pulser coil
          4. W/G = Pulser coil
          5. L = Charge coil
          6. Br = Charge coil
          7. B/O = Ign coil #1
          8. B/W = Ign coil #2
          9. B/Y = Ign coil #3
          10. W = Kill switch
          11. P = Thermoswitch/warning horn ground
          12. Y = Not used

The new CDI unit 6H5-85540-02-00 has the above +
          13 orang = head temperature sensor
          14 orange/green = head temperature sensor

Do I have to use these 2 wire?

I see only one thermos switch in the back right of top cylinder of the motor with 2 pink wires and black( ground) coming out of the thermoswitch. From the old cdi it is 11.P thermoswitch.

Comment

What is the complete identity of your motor? Begins with the number 6.

Comment

Here is a link to a fellow that is selling a -02-00 CDI. I don't see an orange wire or an orange/green wire in the photos.

How is it known that they go to a head temperature sensor?

B4B New Yamaha Genuine OEM 6H5-85540-02 - CDI Unit Ignition System Assembly Part | eBay

Is your CDI marked 6H5 02?

Comment

complete identity of your motor 6H5L515506

here is a 2 link i got for part and installation. this is why or i came about the orange + orange/green wire`s

Yamaha Ignition Pack: 117-6H5-02

http://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-con...117-6H5-02.pdf

My old CDI unit is not marked with any so i went to Boats.net: Outboard Motors, OEM Marine Parts, Boats for Sale to find my part

Comment

the guy from boat.net parts told my The original part for the model provided is 6H5-85540-00-00 which has been
                  > superseded to part number 6H5-85540-02-00.
                  and i could have minor detail differrence

Comment

here is a link with the 2 orange + orange/green
                    thats why i am confused. same part number but the difference is 2 wires

Yamaha 6H5-85540-02-00 C.D.I. UNIT ASSEMBLY | eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Monsanto J F View Post
                      complete identity of your motor 6H5L515506

here is a 2 link i got for part and installation. this is why or i came about the orange + orange/green wire`s

Yamaha Ignition Pack: 117-6H5-02

http://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-con...117-6H5-02.pdf

My old CDI unit is not marked with any so i went to Boats.net: Outboard Motors, OEM Marine Parts, Boats for Sale to find my part

The link to CDIelectronics references a part that they make that should replace the 00-00 to 02-00.

Maybe that is why it is different

Comment

Originally posted by Monsanto J F View Post
                        I have a old 1992 2 stroke yamaha 50hp P50TLRQ. with a bad cdi unit. But i would like to purchase a new cdi unit and i noticed the new has two extra orange and orange/green wire`s. before i puchase i would like to know how to connect them correctly.
                        I am surprised no one has yet asked why Monsanto thinks his CDI is bad! Seems any thread that members think their CDI is bad gets this question, do to the "rare failure rate" of these.

So Monsanto, why do you think the CDI is bad, and how did you determine this?
                        Chuck,
                        1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

I am out of good ideas and altitude.

Your model is a USA model. The Yamaha USA parts book indicates that all P50's/PRO50's from 1989 through 1994 used part number 6H5-85540-02-00. That is, your motor should have had this part number installed. See for yourself at Yamaha Outboards

This same part number is available today. The configuration should be one and the same. That is, no added wires. A change from a -00-00 to a -01-00 to a 02-00, etc. normally will not involve a configuration change. A -02-00 produced by Yamaha in 1989 should look just like a -02-00 produced today.

Now if you are trying to compare a Yamaha part with a CDI Electronics part, all bets are off. Your question about why a CDI Electronics part is different from a Yamaha part needs to be directed to CDI Electronics. I see that CDI Electronics says that the two added wires are for a head temperature sensor. Your model motor does not have even one head temperature sensor, let alone two of them.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            I am out of good ideas and altitude.

Your model is a USA model. The Yamaha USA parts book indicates that all P50's/PRO50's from 1989 through 1994 used part number 6H5-85540-02-00. That is, your motor should have had this part number installed. See for yourself at Yamaha Outboards

This same part number is available today. The configuration should be one and the same. That is, no added wires. A change from a -00-00 to a -01-00 to a 02-00, etc. normally will not involve a configuration change. A -02-00 produced by Yamaha in 1989 should look just like a -02-00 produced today.

Now if you are trying to compare a Yamaha part with a CDI Electronics part, all bets are off. Your question about why a CDI Electronics part is different from a Yamaha part needs to be directed to CDI Electronics. I see that CDI Electronics says that the two added wires are for a head temperature sensor. Your model motor does not have even one head temperature sensor, let alone two of them.

Good luck.
                            Well, if your CDI is proven to be bad, Boats.net has the original part number as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent the "02" part though.

Here's Boats.net link to the "00":

6H5-85540-00-00 YAMAHA CDI UNIT ASY
                            Chuck,
                            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post

Here's Boats.net link to the "00":

6H5-85540-00-00 YAMAHA CDI UNIT ASY
                              I saw that. Also noted that it did not say what model(s) of motor(s) it was used on. It was not used on the OP's model according to the Yamaha parts book.

OP said his motor has a -00-00 on it. That is the wrong CDI part number for his motor. Unless the Yamaha parts catalog is wrong. Which it has been noted to be.

In any event a -00-00 or a -02-00 should be form, fit and function interchangeable. I suspect that a CDI Electronics CDI is being confused with a Yamaha CDI. But...

Comment

Working...
                              X