Hard Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
    This is a Primestart device for a four stroke model. Similar, but different, to the ones used on a two stroke.
    Thanks.. Do you know what (generally-less volume?) would be different and why between the 2 and 4 strokes? (just curious)
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      Thanks.. Do you know what (generally-less volume?) would be different and why between the 2 and 4 strokes? (just curious)
      Sorry, I don't have a clue as to why the differences. Other than a two stroke has the ability to create pressure pulses to help move gasoline whereas a four stroke has to depend on a pressure differential created in the carburetor.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastexn1 View Post
        Thanks to the great drawings I think this problem is about solved. Looks like the thermal enrichment device is not working.

Thanks to everyone.
        the thermal part is what shuts off the fuel flow after the motor warms up.
        So I do not see how that could be the problem with motor not starting when cold.
        problem with the thermal heater would be a problem with it running too rich after warm up

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Sorry, I don't have a clue as to why the differences. Other than a two stroke has the ability to create pressure pulses to help move gasoline whereas a four stroke has to depend on a pressure differential created in the carburetor.
          Thanks........

Scott

Comment

the carbs for a two or 4 stroke work identically.

it uses a colum of air that at se*****l is about 14 miles high.

pulse pumps work on both two and fourstroke engines.

they have been around for years.

most large 4 stroke motors use another carb circuit called an accelerator circuit that most two strokes do not need.

Comment

I believe this was referring more to the prime start enrichment system than the way the carb itself worked

Comment

Where does a four stroke carburetor get the air pressure pulses from to activate a pump?
                Last edited by boscoe99; 11-29-2016, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I believe this was referring more to the prime start enrichment system than the way the carb itself worked
                  Yes it was.

Is the prime start any different (basic operation) between the 2 and 4 stroke?

I would think just the volumne of air going thru ANY carb(cranking), (2 or 4 stroke), with the prime start "activated" would allow extra fuel to be sucked in

Just an educated guess...

Scott

Comment

I am not sure if the 4 stroke prime start enrichment system uses a diaphragm pump like the 2 stroke, mainly because I never looked at a 4 stroke one

Comment

the 4 stroke prime start does not need the fuel enrichment pump.
                      it uses about 1/2 the fuel a two stroke does for each revolution.
                      but the principle is identical.

Comment

Working...
                      X