Greetings with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings with questions

Greetings.. I bought Key West 1720cc in 06 but I think the motor is a 05 F90TLRD..On the right side there is a sticker with "mfg 05/04" on it so I'm not 100% sure.. My boat was put up for a few months with the motor up on that flip down lever.. I hooked up the battery and the trim motor wouldn't go down..I let it down with the release screw and when it was down the switch worked again so I ran it all the way up and back down and there it stays..Dead again and relay clicking.. I did some research and found that on the relay the blue is the up wire and the green is down. I disconnected both and put the blue wire right on the verified hot/red nut and still it didn't go up so I presume the motor is bad or likely the brushes are stuck.. The other problem is I tested the relay outputs while pushing the button and I get battery voltage out the bottom/green wire screw but nothing out the top/blue wire "up"screw.. I can only think the relay is bad as well as the motor.. Is there more I should know here? Am I doing the right tests the right way? Thanks
    Key West 1720cc
    Yamaha F90TLRD mfg.05/04

motor needs both + and - to run

Comment

So your battery is good? You could take leads off relay assembly and put one on positive battery terminal and one on negative. See if motor runs. Then reverse leads, should run in opposite direction. may be easiest to move battery close to engine to reach terminals. Then perhaps you can say relay is hosed.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
        So your battery is good? You could take leads off relay assembly and put one on positive battery terminal and one on negative. See if motor runs. Then reverse leads, should run in opposite direction. may be easiest to move battery close to engine to reach terminals. Then perhaps you can say relay is hosed.
        Thanks...I did try that with the battery also with some small jumper cables but I put the negative on a ground and the + on the blue/up wire with no action.. Are you saying I should put the + on the blue and the negative on the green wire to go up? I thought maybe but a afraid to do that.
        Key West 1720cc
        Yamaha F90TLRD mfg.05/04

Comment

No, he is not saying put pos to blue and neg to green, he is saying put pos to blue, and neg to the ground wire/motor.

Comment

If this T&T motor has just 2 wires then they need to be disconnected from the relay and then hook one to pos and the other to neg, reverse the wires to change direction of motor.

if it has 3 wires let us know
            Last edited by 99yam40; 10-22-2016, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Plus 1 ^^^.

Direct wire the battery to the T&T (AND disconnect the T&T from the engine harness completely). Swap wires for up, and then down. Rule the T&T motor good or bad...

A voltmeter to the relay (both before and after) when activated should let you know what's going on.

Also, sometimes, if the brushes are sticking, gently tapping the motor will often loosen them..

**I'd be checking battery terminals, grounds, etc as their most likely to be an issue before digging into anything else...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

if the motor will run up it will run down
                testing the relay is dirt simple.
                use a digital meter.
                attach one lead to the green terminal, the other to blue.
                hit the up switch.
                you should read about battery voltage of one polarity or the other.
                now hit the switch down, should see the same voltage with opposite polarity.
                yep it is that simple.

Comment

the relay has to make good connections on both the pos and neg and reverse the polarity also when the othe direction switch is used.
                  the contacts in the relay can sometimes not make good contact .
                  As Rodbolt said test to see what is going on

Comment

at rest both contactors are at ground.
                    the up or down coil that gets energized by the control circuit moves that contactor to a positive potential.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      at rest both contactors are at ground.
                      the up or down coil that gets energized by the control circuit moves that contactor to a positive potential.
                      This makes it easy to understand the relay.. One wire gets hot to go up the other is already grounded. I was grounding my battery to an engine ground strap.. Thanks everyone..
                      Key West 1720cc
                      Yamaha F90TLRD mfg.05/04

Comment

I kind of figured that was what the problem was with your troubleshooting method

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          if the motor will run up it will run down
                          testing the relay is dirt simple.
                          use a digital meter.
                          attach one lead to the green terminal, the other to blue.
                          hit the up switch.
                          you should read about battery voltage of one polarity or the other.
                          now hit the switch down, should see the same voltage with opposite polarity.
                          yep it is that simple.
                          Dam, I wish troubleshooting the oil pumps electrical system had been as easy as this T/T.
                          Jason
                          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                            Dam, I wish troubleshooting the oil pumps electrical system had been as easy as this T/T.

Yeah, everything is "that simple" when broken down to simple circuits. Afterall all electrical faults are either current flows when it should not or it does not flow when it should.

Comment

when troubleshooting simple DC circuits it is easy.
                              if it is shorted find the ground path, usually by melted wires and/or blown fuses.
                              shorts rarely happen.

open circuits do happen and happen often.

open circuits are easy to test using a voltage drop between various points in the circuit.

Comment

Working...
                              X