1994 Yamaha 25 broken shift rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Yamaha 25 broken shift rod

Hey im new to the forum, tried searching for this problem, havent seen anything. So i was pulling the lower unit, in the process, the lower shift rod nut was siezed, so naturally it broke in the lower unit. Has anyone ever fixed this? Im going to be replacing the seals in the lower unit and the water pump anyway, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, the lock pin that the impeller goes over on the shaft will not come out, keeping me from being able to pull the whole water pump, any ideas? Thank you all in advance.

never saw the shift rod break in the lower.
    they will snap under the power head.
    requires power head removal to repair.
    that pin for the impeller will pull with a good set of side cutters.

Comment

Yeah and i have the shop manual, it show the rod assembly just pulling straight out with the cam attached, but there is a mounting point inside where only the rod will fit through, and appears to be made into the lower.

Comment

Regarding the key: Worst case, you could cut a slot lengthwise with a grinder or Dremel. Then crush with big pliers or Channel Lock to pull out.

Comment

heat cycle the woodruff key. Use automatic transmission fluid as the lubricant since its non flamable. Rock it back and forth with the groove till it loosens, dont force it out or you'll have bigger problems if it breaks.
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
          X