Mystery wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery wire

I have two batteries with typical , 1,2 both switch. There is a yellow/red tracer wire "hot wired" to batt 2 terminal on switch. Can't figure out why....I have the typical brown wire for bilge connected to batt terminal 1 on switch. Also have the newly installed isolater lead attached to batt 2 terminal switch. Why a third "hot" wire? I cannot locate the other end of the wire. I pulled the inline fuse on it with no changes. Kind of concerned to have a hot wire flopping around somewhere in boat. Any ideas?

I know this is a Yamaha site but I can't handle THT. Too many responses sometimes worse than none!

yellow with red tracer wire

That's only (Should) can be a starter start wire... ABYC standard... never seen one wired like that..Funny

Comment

Yellow/red.
      Interesting.

Only things I can imagine connecting directly to a battery: a second bilge pump, or a high-water alarm.

What was the amp rating on the fuse?

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
        Yellow/red.
        Interesting.

Only things I can imagine connecting directly to a battery: a second bilge pump, or a high-water alarm.

What was the amp rating on the fuse?
        20 ft boat so second bilge not mandatory or that is what I hear. But that really is the only thing that makes sense....

Good question on fuse....15, not a starter wire Baja

Boat starts fine and runs without. Everything works.

Comment

There is wire marker on it but faded away. Makes me think factory?
          Century boat 2005 built when Yamaha owned it...

Comment

Do you have a stereo on board that requires CONSTANT voltage to retain the am/fm stations?

That line would be in addition to the regular 12 volt power line for the radio..
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
              Do you have a stereo on board that requires CONSTANT voltage to retain the am/fm stations?

That line would be in addition to the regular 12 volt power line for the radio..
              Good thought. But no stereo.

Comment

Could it be the "accessory" terminal on the key switch?

Look under dash and on the engine for the same wire. If you find it, disconnect the negative terminals of the batteries, disconnect the wire from the battery and where you found it, then use a multimeter to check for continuity.
                2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

That wire is not attached to engine. Unless someone spliced a different color wire somewhere in between. I can't locate the other end. Don't know where it terminates. That's why I pulled the fuse.

Comment

I'm not sure how good Century's owner's manuals are, but if it's like my Sea Ray's and Grady, then there are very good wiring diagrams in it. If you don't have the manual, see if you can download it or get it from Century.

You're 100% positive the other end isn't under the dash anywhere?
                    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Is the fuel gauge on all the time?
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

No, the fuel gauge is Yamaha round type. Off until key on.

Century is a dead brand IMO. Sold to Stumpknocker boats. Yes, Stumpknocker. Out of their league and they have not been promoting that I can see. Anyhow, they point to Yamaha and vice versa on 2005 model questions. I tried to get an owners manual back in 2012. I should try again, maybe there are different people answering phones.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

May be setting a record for longest time on follow up. The mystery “hot wire” connect was for a future sound system install. My boat had no stereo system when I purchased. Some time after I posted, I found some pre wired unused wires for speakers. Fast forward, my daughter bought me a system for Christmas. I got to tracing those speaker wires and found the “hot wire” connection in a large unused connector that combined all stereo needs. I had pulled the fuse on it years ago. No hot wire for me. All redone under the control of the battery switch.

Comment

2016 Yamaha T9.9 XEHB - On the CDI unit there is a yellow wire (Emergency Wire). In the owners manual, it say that if the engine stops while using the motor, disconnect the yellow wire and start engine, return home at low RPM and fix problem. That didn't work, and had to get towed back to my slip. Does anyone know how or why that should work? Is the CDI. Shop manual does't seem to discussed how the CDI works.

Comment

Yellow wire, how does it work as an emergency get home wire? It didn't work for me, engine would not start and had to be towed back too my slip. Im pretty sure that I have a electrical problem and have been doing the testing out of the shop manual but why the yellow wire and what is it supposed to do. There is not a drawing for the CDI internals.

Comment

Working...
                              X