2004 f50 no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rammunition361 View Post
    yes I have, I will try the starting fluid, I do know the pump is refilling the bowls but I will probably take to the marina for repair if I have to remove the carbs, unsure on the timing of the four
    The hardest part of cleaning the carbs is just getting the throttle linkages back correctly.

Even the much larger engines / carbs will clog up with ethonol, MUCH more with your smaller engine...

95% of the time it won't even need a re-build, just cleaning.

Just to pull the jets, clean them and make sure you can see light thru them(critical)..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by rammunition361 View Post
      maybe, ive been a mechanic on passenger cars and heavy equipment for some time. Just trying to save a buck, thanks for your time sir
      I have been certified as an air craft power plant and air frame mechanic since 1975. 41 years if my math is correct. That's scary. Seems like just yesterday. I was so excited to get my new papers.

I don't (and can't by law) work on stuff that I have never been trained on before. The guy out at the airport who works on a Boeing 777 daily cannot go and start tinkering with a Cessna 150 if he has not been trained to do so.

There is no shame in asking for some professional help about that which is unknown to one. With your background you should be able to come up to speed quickly and start doing your own trouble shooting and repairs. There are some idiosyncrasies about outboard motors that can whip an experienced automobile or air craft mechanics arse. Some Yamaha outboard motor mechanics are getting humbled daily. Not because the mechanic is not smart. Simply because he does not yet understand the methodology of how they work.

Comment

well, it runs on starting fluid

Comment

Sweet Jesus (or Rodbolt). Now we are moving. To the carbs we go!

Comment

maybe, to the dealer we go lol. I want to go boating!

Comment

those carb kits are like 110 bucks each, they will try to sell you 4.

you wont need them.

you will need to strip them down,figgure out what orings/gaskets you need.
              clean the carbs and resync them with a 4 channel manometer.

takes me 4-6 hrs on that motor.

Comment

so what should I tell them? I only want the ones that need done?

Comment

As I noted previously, the carbs... My moneys paid off..

Now, you know what's going on..

They may want to use re-build kits (just so there's no "come backs")..

You want all to pulled apart and their all likely gooed up.

IMO, you've been inside carbs before, same principles, similar design, float, needle, seat and JETS-which is where you need to be..

Invest in a shop manual and do them yourself. The shop manual will be cheaper than a rebuild kit for ONE carb...

Do one at a time, cleaning is no different than any other carbs, a sonic cleaner would be great or invest in some regular, liquid carb cleaner to dunk the stripped carbs in... I've never used either, always by hand and with an air compressor. Never had one I couldn't get going..

If going to the shop, they should be able to give you a shop time estimate and as Rodbolt posted 4-6 hours @ *** dollors an hour.. With your experience and a shop manual, I'd be pulling them. Members here have done MUCH deeper work and are not mechanics for a living..Backyardians!

BTW, if you don't have one, a very good manometer is about $100. I use this one I've had for years, no fluids, mercury, EXTREMELY well made: http://www.carbtune.com/

Please post back how it goes and good luck
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-23-2016, 08:13 AM.
                  Scott

Comment

$1555.51 for 4 rebuilds fuel flush and a fuel filter...I gave the go ahead because I'm still unsure on the sync and link aspect. I'm definitely purchasing a manual though

Comment

W0W! How do these folks sleep at night??
                      Scott

Comment

Not surprised. I would expect it to run properly though without any bs. I am fortunate to have a master tech nearby that I trust. Let us know how it runs.

Comment

Use marine gas always......

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                            use marine gas always......
                            with stabilizer..

Heck, its 3 small carburetor's?? $2-300 an hour?

Manometer=$100, manual=$50, carb cleaner= $5.00, 4 hours, going slow, ??

And you still have the manometer and manual left over....
                            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-29-2016, 07:22 PM.
                            Scott

Comment

For us yes. But the Dude just wants to go boating. Didn't want to slam him for getting help. Do want him to get a boat ready to ride and avoid issues in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                                For us yes. But the Dude just wants to go boating. Didn't want to slam him for getting help. Do want him to get a boat ready to ride and avoid issues in the future.
                                Very true...

But, he has been in carburetors before. And these are simple single bowl, single float carbs.. Just my 2cts, would have been very do-able,,
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X