2004 f50 no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 f50 no start

hey yall, I'm very new to boating and I'm really hoping to get some help here. I purchased a boat with an 04 Yamaha 4 cylinder 4 stroke 50 horse which I believe is an f50? the previous owner had loads of receipts from gauge work to carb rebuilds to the prop and cover. He said second run of the year it just wouldn't start and that is how I purchased it. It has the safety switch attached, new gas, fuel lines, primer bulb, fuel from fuel pump, spark, 170psi compression in neutral and a new battery. Can anyone lead me to the next step here, or am I bound to go to the Yamaha dealer? thanks in advance!

also, as I read I'm learning of a control panel? might there be fuses or something on the boat? ill keep scanning the manual

Comment

If its sat for any lenth of time, the carb(s) are very likely clogged up.

It doesn't take a month for un-treated ethonol to goo it up..

If your somewhat mechanically inclined, you can pull the carbs, the float bowls and clean the jets.

There should also be a tag with a model # like F40xt..

That will allow you to bring up the carb parts fisch
      and see where their located, etc...

A shop manual wouldn't hurt and some knowledge of carbs would be helpful..

IE: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TOR/parts.html
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-22-2016, 07:14 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Is it a no crank or a no start issue. I can't tell.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Is it a no crank or a no start issue. I can't tell.
          170 PSI compression, it should be cranking, I suspect no start..
          Scott

Comment

no start. itll crank all day but it wont even hit a lick. I cant see it being a carb problem, I drained the bowls and I would think it would at least hick up

Comment

Originally posted by rammunition361 View Post
              no start. itll crank all day but it wont even hit a lick. I cant see it being a carb problem, I drained the bowls and I would think it would at least hick up
              You can spray a spritz of fuel down the carbs and see if it kicks..

My money, the carbs are gooed up.
              Scott

Comment

simple to test spark or spray fuel into the intakes or cylinders to eliminate some things
                will lead you into a direction to go

Comment

not quite sure where to spray starting fluid? cant readily see an air filter housing. remember I'm new lol

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    170 PSI compression, it should be cranking, I suspect no start..
                    I crank my motors from the motor itself when doing a compression check. Which overrides the key switch and rest of the starting system. Thus the reason for my question. That is, was it not cranking from the helm or was it not starting from the helm.

But now we know. I guess.

Comment

not quite sure where to spray starting fluid? cant readily see an air filter housing. remember I'm new lol
                      Take it to the mechanic please. See if he will let you look over his shoulder for a bit of engine familiarization.

Comment

Inside part #24, that's the air intake (sometime referred to as the air filter but there's no filter). Follow the carbs back to where they would be getting air..

2004 F40EJRC Yamaha Outboard INTAKE Diagram and Parts

Agreed with Boscoe.. ^^^^

If it kicks with the spritz, you know its in the fuel system.

Respectfully, I suspect even that, you'll possibly be in way over your head.
                        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-22-2016, 07:43 PM.
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          Take it to the mechanic please. See if he will let you look over his shoulder for a bit of engine familiarization.
                          maybe, ive been a mechanic on passenger cars and heavy equipment for some time. Just trying to save a buck, thanks for your time sir

Comment

maybe, ive been a mechanic on passenger cars and heavy equipment for some time. Just trying to save a buck, thanks for your time sir
                            We're not aware of your backround, mechanic wise.

Not a problem saving some bucks and learning, soooo, continue on.

Spritz and see what happens.

I gather you've been inside some float carburetors?
                            Scott

Comment

yes I have, I will try the starting fluid, I do know the pump is refilling the bowls but I will probably take to the marina for repair if I have to remove the carbs, unsure on the timing of the four

Comment

Working...
                              X