X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yes, Boscoe, I have good flow from telltale all the time

Comment

• LOL - I said MC Escher -

but this functional schematic is more reminiscent of Rube G.

Flushing directly to the telltale is certainly what we saw from the parts listing -

the mystery is why

upload pic

Comment

• It'd be just my kind of luck that I'd have to remove the powerhead to get to the obstruction only to find that something wasn't drilled out from the factory and , although the motor is practically new, it's ten years old and thus out of warranty !!!!
        I was really surprised to find a blockage in the cooling system. Everything I've taken apart thus far has been super clean. There wasn't even any type of deposits or crystalization behind the thermostat....

Comment

• Feeling so relieved !!!!! I took the elbow off the hose ( #17) and rerouted it thru the hole in the lower cowling to give me a straight shot thru the hose, and ran a piece of mechanic's wire thru the tube. I felt it when I hit the hose nipple, then a twist or two and it went into the nipple. I could feel some restriction there but whatever it was gave way.... I can blow and suck air through the tube now !!!!!
          Today's weather cloudy with rain and thunderstorms on the way, and I still have to put the VTS back on the motor, but cannot wait to water test this time...

Comment

• Good for You!!! Here's what I think the flow passage is.

Note the say about 3/16" I.D of the nipple(s) are. Now How in the heck does anyone think flushing through the hose flush port is doing anything.
            Last edited by cpostis; 07-30-2016, 04:13 PM.
            Chuck,
            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

• Originally posted by cpostis View Post
              Good for You!!! Here's what I think the flow passage is.

Note the say about 3/16" I.D of the nipple(s) are. Now How in the heck does anyone think flushing through the hose flush port is doing anything.
              You got water coming in the tell tale fitting and flowing to two places. How does that happen?

Comment

• I just looked at that drawing, Boscoe and I think it will work...Signed, M C Escher

Just kidding a little, Cpostis.

I just got the vts back on, hooked everything back up, and ran short barrel test. Fired right up and peeing good. Waiting on the weather now so I can do a real test on the water.
                I really think my dilemma is solved thanks to you guys Rodbolt , 99yam40, Boscoe, and all the rest who have been following my thread. I'll post back later on the field test results. Thanks again, Fred

Comment

• Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  You got water coming in the tell tale fitting and flowing to two places. How does that happen?
                  Thanks Boscoe, I was hoping someone would ring in.

My apologies, however that's why I said "I think". I was not sure which hose fitting on the diagram was the either the intake from the exhaust guide or the tell-tale outlet. Apparently I had them reversed. Look at the attached image and see if you agree this is correct with me or not. In either case, the flow is divided between two paths at the "T".

When disassembling and reassembling my SX150TXRZ, I found many ports blocked. appears as if there are quite a few orifices that allow the block/heads/exhaust guide to drain. If they do not drain, water will evaporate and leave deposits within.

In the diagram you posted in this thread, it shows that the water must flow through thermostat(s) before exiting the tell-tale outlet. Is this correct or not?

I now flush motor running in a tank and then muffs rather than the flush port.

Thanks again, Chuck
                  Last edited by cpostis; 07-30-2016, 04:13 PM.
                  Chuck,

Comment

• Chuck, your latest drawing is correct. I just disconnected the hose #9 from nipple #10 and cranked motor. I got good water flow from the engine , nothing from the hose. I reconnected it and disconnected the hose #17 from the fuel cooler at the elbow below the cooler , cranked it back up and got good water flow from the cooler outlet , nothing from the hose that feeds back into the lower casing.
                    I am now 100% certain that my fuel cooler was inoperable until today. Thanks, Fred
                    Last edited by Fred Pittman; 07-27-2016, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred Pittman View Post
                      Chuck, your latest drawing is correct. I just disconnected the hose #9 from nipple #10 and cranked motor. I got good water flow from the engine , nothing from the hose. I reconnected it and disconnected the hose #17 from the fuel cooler at the elbow below the cooler , cranked it back up and got good water flow from the cooler outlet , nothing from the hose that feeds back into the lower casing.
                      I am now 100% certain that my fuel cooler was inoperable until today. Thanks, Fred
                      Thanks Fred,

Can't wait to hear how it does out on the water. Please let us know.
                      Chuck,

Comment

• Fred, your diligence is admirable. It's these difficult problems that lead us to better appreciate our engines after they are fixed. Every time you run this engine in the future, you'll think about the water flow and how your VST is now happily being cooled. I'd cross my fingers for you that's it's fixed - but you don't need that, because I'll bet it is fixed. Your persistence will have paid off. Good for you - and thanks for the entertaining and educational ride!

Comment

• Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          my guess would be out of block thru #9 and back into #17 to drain out, only because #9 looks like the place most would feed out of
                          Looks like my guess was correct.
                          Do I win a prize?

Originally posted by greasyshaft View Post
                          apparently water flow ends up dumped into the exhaust
                          strange how this shows the flow thru the stat first

looking at it again it shows flow from cylinder body to exhaust outer cover
                          then to TT and cooler

With it flowing the way it does you will not see when the cooler is not getting flow.
                          Seems they(Yamaha) screwed this design up some.

I have another guess, that the TT will be a lot less strong with the flow thru to exhaust also now.
                          Can you tell the difference Fred?
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 07-28-2016, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• What model Yamaha does that flow diagram apply to?

I don't think it is for the OP's model.

A Yamaha is not a Yamaha is not a Yamaha.

Comment

• It seems ( for the short time I ran it) that the telltale is stronger now.
                              After all this, makes me want to add another telltale to the motor with a tee in line #17 to show that I have water flow thru the fuel cooler. It does seem to me that Yamaha would want the absolute coolest water possible flowing through this cooler rather than heated water after the thermostat though....

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred Pittman View Post
                                It seems ( for the short time I ran it) that the telltale is stronger now.
                                After all this, makes me want to add another telltale to the motor with a tee in line #17 to show that I have water flow thru the fuel cooler. It does seem to me that Yamaha would want the absolute coolest water possible flowing through this cooler rather than heated water after the thermostat though....
                                The chart is misleading. Water will flow through the fuel cooler and out the tell tale if the thermostat is open or closed.

Comment

Working...
                                X