2001 VMAX 150 starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 VMAX 150 starting issues

I recently purchased a lightly used under 200 hrs VMAX 150 2001 outboard and boat. It always fires up right away when I first place it in the water. Over the past couple weekends after I run it and shut it off ,when I go to restart it it's a bear. It is getting progressively worse. It sounds to me like it isn't getting fuel.

This last weekend after I ran across the lake from the landing to a fishing spot I tried to restart it and it wouldn't go. I pulled the fuel filter and everything looked good. I pumped he bulb and it would get hard but then slowly soften over time. I motored back to the landing with the electric and pulled the boat out of the water. There was some black slurry with flakes of carbon coming out of the exhaust I noticed when I trimmed it up. In the parking lot I turned the key and it backfired real loud.

When I got home I put the ear muffs on the motor and it started it up and it fired up after the first or second try. Seemed to idle ok.

Is this a bad fuel pump issue or any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks for the help

other than you most likely have some kinda V max decal on the hood, it is most likely around an 02 model and its most likely a 150 hp Yamaha, I have NO clue what motor we are discussing.
    is it a V150?
    a VX 150
    a VZ 150?

all are comleatly different fuel and ign systems.

that's why model numbers are nice to have.

Comment

Engine Model

My bad the model on the outboard is VZ150TLRZ

Comment

VZ means it is an HPDI.
        uses an electric HP pump at 50 PSI.
        does it turn on and run for 3-5 seconds at KEY ON?
        that system also uses a 12V ign system.
        is the fuse ok ?

Comment

Yes the electric High Pressure pump does turn on when I turn the key. I am thinking it is the two lower pressure pumps that are the culprits possibly. Since it always starts right away when it's cold but struggles once you run it for some reason the fuel supply must be limited after running.

Is there a way to test the (2) low pressure pumps in my garage?

Comment

Working...
          X