No announcement yet.

F150 Stalls when put in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The early manual had you hooking up a manometer to the plastic intake manifold (which I did) but of course, there's ONLY one adjuster for the TWO separate TB's.

And even in the manual, it was very confusing how it was written about which cylinders were the best to equalize the vacuum.

And of course, each TB, you can't adjust the blades on one throttle shaft...

I'd gladly take a single TB, "KISS"...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      on the stalling.
      have the linkage set following the latest technical bulliten.
      the factory setting was wrong and so is the service manual.
      back in o7 it took me about a half a day to figure out my F150 stalling issue.
      3 yrs later Yamaha released a tech bulliten on how to do it.

if it is all done correctly you will have an idle speed of 700-750,a TPS reading of .7--.71 and an ISC request in the upper 30%to about 42%.
      I called a mechanic last Monday. He was supposed to call me back this week after he got the balancer in. I never heard from him.

I'm beginning to make repairs to the motor myself because of the unreliability of mechanics in my area. It's the reason I bought two service manuals and the yds software. Is adjusting the throttle shutters something I can do myself? Are there directions for it someplace?

I have a basic understanding of the pressure differential at the manifold you were referring to. At work I use vacuum and pressure gauges daily. I also have a manometer although mine is used for measuring inches of gas water column and didn't cost $700 like yours. Thanks.

Comment

the manometer is nice, can be done by ear.
        like I said at the end of the day we faked out the ECU by slightly opening the throttle shutters.
        all the ECU "sees" is the TPS and the idle speed.
        at the end of the procedure,if done correctly you will see a TPS of about .7, an ISC request in the mid 30%to low 40% and a stable idle in the 700-750 RPM range.

Comment

Buy the latest version of the F150 service manual (LIT-18616-03-35) and simply follow the procedure outlined in the manual.

Remember, after all else fails follow the instructions.

Comment

I have the LIT-18616-02151 manual. When Rodbolt is talking about adjusting the shutters, do I do that using the throttle valve synchronization screw? That part is in the manual. I didn't think he was referring to that though.

Comment

I think that the procedure in LIT-18616-02-51 is now obsolete. Unless the new procedure is followed, more than likely you are wasting your time. And the motor is not going to run as well as it can.

The old procedure and the new procedure are night and day apart.

Comment

So two months ago I bought the wrong manual. Wonderful.

Comment

Call Yamaha customer support first thing on Monday morning and ask if they will fax you the applicable pages from the latest SM.

Comment

Will do. If they do, I'll post them here for the next guy.

Comment

actually
                      ask them for the procedure in the advanced troubleshooting class room book.
                      if I ever get a chance AND remember it I have it at the shop.
                      ya gotta remember not only am I a yamaha master tech I also get all the Volvo and mercruiser stuff.
                      I tend to spend a lot of time looking up parts and on the phone when I am not wrenching.
                      just did a lower swivel pin replacement and gimbal ring preload on an SX drive this morning for one of my crabbers.
                      not bad,sunday morning service so it can go back over and be ready for Monday crabbing.
                      but they pay well for boat ramp side service. .

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                        actually
                        ask them for the procedure in the advanced troubleshooting class room book.
                        if I ever get a chance AND remember it I have it at the shop.
                        ya gotta remember not only am I a yamaha master tech I also get all the Volvo and mercruiser stuff.
                        I tend to spend a lot of time looking up parts and on the phone when I am not wrenching.
                        just did a lower swivel pin replacement and gimbal ring preload on an SX drive this morning for one of my crabbers.
                        not bad,sunday morning service so it can go back over and be ready for Monday crabbing.
                        but they pay well for boat ramp side service. .
                        Post up a copy plz. I would like to see if there are any differences in what Yamaha US is telling their mechanics to do versus what Yamaha Japan is telling folks to do.

Comment

Will the security screw on the middle left side of the attached picture close the shutters all the way if loosened?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BigRich123 View Post
                            Will the security screw on the middle left side of the attached picture close the shutters all the way if loosened?
                            Nope. That's the sync screw to sync both throttle bodies to each other.

I never looked but there should be some sort of set screw where the TB linkage stops. Like the newer cars, its not meant to be messed with, but probably small, black that'll allow the butterflys to close further(most likely Not a spring with it)
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              Buy the latest version of the F150 service manual (LIT-18616-03-35) and simply follow the procedure outlined in the manual.

Remember, after all else fails follow the instructions.
                              That's for a 2011 motor and newer. Mine is an 07'. Yamaha support wouldn't give me access to the advanced troubleshooting book. They said it was for technicians only.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRich123 View Post
                                That's for a 2011 motor and newer. Mine is an 07'. Yamaha support wouldn't give me access to the advanced troubleshooting book. They said it was for technicians only.
                                The problem is that Yamaha does not update their SM's.

Yes, the updated SM is for 2011 and new motors. But the procedure in there will work for earlier motors. Yamaha even refers their dealer mechanics to use the new procedure on older motors.

Did they simply refuse to provide you with the updated procedures?

It does not surprise me that they would not give you a copy of the troubleshooting book procedures. Let's see if rodnut will post a copy.

Comment

Working...
                                X