Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 SX200TXR oil transfer problem. Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 SX200TXR oil transfer problem. Help!!

Hello everyone I just picked up a deal on a 2001 SX200TXR 0X66 Salt Water Series motor on a Hurricane Deck boat. The guy I bought the boat from told me the oil transfer pump is bad. He said once the oil gets down low the alarm comes on and the only way to fill it up is with the manual override switch. Today I took a crack at trying to figure it out and he is what I found and I am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

1. With the key on the manual override switch works and oil pumps into the tank on the motor.

2. I hooked a battery straight to the pump and disconnected the oil line at the tank and verified that the pump works.

3. I performed a continuity test on the oil level sensor/sender switch according to the manual and it all passed.

So far according to what I tested I know the pump is good the switch is good. My next test is going to be lowering the oil level on the engine tank and see if the pump gets activated and actually pumps oil. I will say with the key on and I pull the sender out the alarm goes off but the pump does not activate. I guess my biggest question is what is the proper way to test the oil pump and sending unit in automatic mode and does the engine need to be running? I have also read several other places online and they said to replace the inline oil filter and I plan on doing that once I figure out why the pump is not turning on. I also visually inspected all the wiring harnesses and everything looked good. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated. I am new to Yamaha motors and so far I like what I have read and seen.

Originally posted by jstatham View Post
    Hello everyone I just picked up a deal on a 2001 SX200TXR 0X66 Salt Water Series motor on a Hurricane Deck boat. The guy I bought the boat from told me the oil transfer pump is bad. He said once the oil gets down low the alarm comes on and the only way to fill it up is with the manual override switch. Today I took a crack at trying to figure it out and he is what I found and I am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. How can the pump be bad if it works when activated by the manual over ride switch?

1. With the key on the manual override switch works and oil pumps into the tank on the motor. Indicates that the pump is OK.

2. I hooked a battery straight to the pump and disconnected the oil line at the tank and verified that the pump works. Indicates that the pump is OK which was already known to be the case.

3. I performed a continuity test on the oil level sensor/sender switch according to the manual and it all passed. Are you saying that you checked continuity at the block, to the oil level sensor switch via the black wire and to the ECU/CDI terminal on the black wire with a red tracer?

So far according to what I tested I know the pump is good the switch is good. My next test is going to be lowering the oil level on the engine tank and see if the pump gets activated and actually pumps oil. I will say with the key on and I pull the sender out the alarm goes off but the pump does not activate. I guess my biggest question is what is the proper way to test the oil pump (the pump works, how many times does it need to be tested?) and sending unit in automatic mode and does the engine need to be running? The engine has to be running for auto oil transfer to occur except for one mode. I have also read several other places online and they said to replace the inline oil filter (if the pump runs as said that it does and if the pump sends oil to the main oil tank why would the filter need to be replaced?) and I plan on doing that once I figure out why the pump is not turning on. I also visually inspected all the wiring harnesses and everything looked good. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated. I am new to Yamaha motors and so far I like what I have read and seen.
    The main oil tank sensor has three switches in it. The middle switch tells the ECU/CDI that oil is needed. Is this switch providing a ground to the ECU/CDI terminal when the float has dropped down to about the mid point on the stick? If not, the ECU won't know to turn on the oil pump.

If the main oil tank switch tells the motor to send oil, the ECU/CDI checks first to see that the remote tank has oil. Is the switch in the remote oil tank actually sending a ground reference all the way to the ECU terminal?

Comment

This never gets old does it? can't wait for you know who to have a bit of "likker" and reply......again

Comment

One problem as I see it is everyone seems to want an answer. None ask about how the system works so they can figure it out on their own.

Hard to come up with an answer from a distance behind a key board.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          The main oil tank sensor has three switches in it. The middle switch tells the ECU/CDI that oil is needed. Is this switch providing a ground to the ECU/CDI terminal when the float has dropped down to about the mid point on the stick? If not, the ECU won't know to turn on the oil pump.

If the main oil tank switch tells the motor to send oil, the ECU/CDI checks first to see that the remote tank has oil. Is the switch in the remote oil tank actually sending a ground reference all the way to the ECU terminal?
          Thanks for the reply. I agree that the pump is good and I tested the switch/float in the main oil tank and its all good. I need to now test and make sure the ground is getting sent to the ECU terminal. I guess what I needed to know most is that the motor needed to be running for the main tank to fill. Just to make sure I am clear the main oil tank is on the engine and the remote is mounted in the boat correct?

Comment

does the motor have to be running for NORMAL operation,yes.
            can it be "fooled" yep.
            its a stupidly simple system that I have beat to death.

do you have the digital Yamaha tachometer?

Comment

Originally posted by jstatham View Post
              Thanks for the reply. I agree that the pump is good and I tested the switch/float in the main oil tank and its all good. I need to now test and make sure the ground is getting sent to the ECU terminal. I guess what I needed to know most is that the motor needed to be running for the main tank to fill. Just to make sure I am clear the main oil tank is on the engine and the remote is mounted in the boat correct?
              Normally the motor has to be running for the ECU to command the oil pump to run and transfer oil. In your model. This does not refer to every Yamaha outboard motor ever made by Yamaha.

The one exception is what is referred to as "the initial fill mode". This is used when the motor is brand new and has no oil in the system. It can be used to test the system.

Drain the main tank by removing the plastic sight tube sump at the bottom. Clean, reattach and secure the sump. Fill the boat mounted remote tank with oil. Leave the engine mounted main oil tank empty.

Turn the key to the ON position. The warning horn should sound. A Yam M/F tachometer will flash the low oil warning bar. Within several seconds the oil pump should begin to run. Oil should begin to flow from the remote tank to the main tank. When the main tank gets about half full the alarm should stop sounding and the low oil bar will go to a solid bar. Oil should flow for either 180 seconds or until the main tank is full.

Try it and see. What happens?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                does the motor have to be running for NORMAL operation,yes.
                can it be "fooled" yep.
                its a stupidly simple system that I have beat to death.

do you have the digital Yamaha tachometer?
                I do not have a digital Yamaha tach.

Comment

Normally the motor has to be running for the ECU to command the oil pump to run and transfer oil. In your model. This does not refer to every Yamaha outboard motor ever made by Yamaha.

The one exception is what is referred to as "the initial fill mode". This is used when the motor is brand new and has no oil in the system. It can be used to test the system.

Drain the main tank by removing the plastic sight tube sump at the bottom. Clean, reattach and secure the sump. Fill the boat mounted remote tank with oil. Leave the engine mounted main oil tank empty.

Turn the key to the ON position. The warning horn should sound. A Yam M/F tachometer will flash the low oil warning bar. Within several seconds the oil pump should begin to run. Oil should begin to flow from the remote tank to the main tank. When the main tank gets about half full the alarm should stop sounding and the low oil bar will go to a solid bar. Oil should flow for either 180 seconds or until the main tank is full.

Thanks for the info. I will try to do it this evening if not I will do it sometime this week for sure.

Comment

I just gave your suggestion a try and the alarm came on and the pump filled the oil tank up about 1/2 way. The best I can tell everything is working as it should. The only thing I have not done is test it with the engine running. I am not sure why the guy I bought it from said the pump was bad. Is there anything else I am missing.

Comment

If the tank was only filled about half way I would change the oil strainer at the back of the remote oil tank.

Then go and run the motor and see if it works as it is supposed to.

Comment

If the tank was only filled about half way I would change the oil strainer at the back of the remote oil tank.

Then go and run the motor and see if it works as it is supposed to.
                        Thanks that's what I was planning on doing. If for some reason that does not solve it I will update this thread. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X