1994 propshaft seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on the drive shaft seals.

if you look carefully at the driveshaft bearing housing you will see its counterbored to allow the black rubber/metal oil slinger thingy to seat.
    the top of that counter bore is where the seal depth is.

that slinger serves two functions
    one is it helps hold the seal in place cause as you have noted the press fit in the bore is light.
    two is it helps keep the suction of the water pump intake from sucking the oil past the seals.
    Yamaha is about the only one that places both springs up.

dunno what to say about bottoming out the prop seals, cant really see where it would hurt anything.
    if not seated deep enough the line cutter on the fwd end of the prop thrust washer tears it up.

Comment

Sooo, should I pull those 2 prop seals that I bottomed out or not? I can see the seal mark on the propshaft and I look to be about .060 deeper than the ones I removed. Or I can run this pig balls to the wall till it blows and then repower.

you said that top bearing would starve if the prop shaft seals were seated all the way, No ?

With the driveshaft bearing carrier out, I could look at the back side of the seals and see that they were bottomed out on the shoulder in the carrier

I have no line cutter on the thrust washer, plenty of space there
      Last edited by scofflaw; 03-20-2016, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
        Thanks for the tip, I'll redo them tomm. Might as well just toss this SM in the canal at the same time. No mention of that.
        Don't need no stinken depth gauge, I can see where they were.
        Pretty stupid design, "don't press in seals till they bottom"? ridiculous. Now don't tell me there are bearings that should not be pressed till they bottom?

I don't doubt Rodbolt for a second, but the engine designer needs a spray - fundamental engineering principle everything has it's "seat" (they are cheap, or did the engineer use all his up

Comment

Yamaha manuals usually says to use the Yamaha tool that sets the proper depth.

Not sure where you got you manual at, but I do not think it is from Yamaha

Comment

Yup, genuine overpriced Yamaha manual, with very little assembly detail. Probably would have been better off with a Seloc or Clymer.

So they want to sell you a tool, eh ? A measurement wouldn't be good enough ?

Doing a bit of research on how the oil gets to the bearings above the top fill plug. Have not found an answer yet, Oiling schematic ...top secret.
            Last edited by scofflaw; 03-21-2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

W DA F ?????
              ya keep changing.

prop shaft seals are vastly different from drive shaft seals.
              \
              dunno on screwing up the propshaft seals by seating to deep.

if you bottom out the drive shaft seals, odds are high of kablooey.
              \
              cause you done shut off the oil passage.

but that's why I make so much moollah from the backyardigans that simply wont believe what I say when I am selling the parts.

Comment

Update... after sleepless nights wondering if driving the 2 driveshaft seals home blocked off the oiling hole I took it apart today. Low and behold the oil hole is completely exposed since the bearing sits below it in the smaller bore. Fresh oil everywhere

Thanks Rod for the panic attack

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                  Update... after sleepless nights wondering if driving the 2 driveshaft seals home blocked off the oiling hole I took it apart today. Low and behold the oil hole is completely exposed since the bearing sits below it in the smaller bore. Fresh oil everywhere

Thanks Rod for the panic attack
                  Some people just have the ability to convey what they mean with minimal offence (thanks for the panic attack)

Comment

nope.
                    if you push the seals for the drive shaft to the bottom, you closed off that angle drilled lube hole in the housing.
                    its just how the housing is machined,
                    like I said, I dunno about pushing the prop shaft seals to the bottom.

gotta member, two bearings are being lubed.
                    the needle bearing and the Torrington bearing.

Comment

Working...
                    X