1994 propshaft seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 propshaft seals

Replacing these seals and my POS yam manual says nothing about the direction of the seals. The 2 seals that came out face the same direction, which I don't believe to be correct. Anyone ?

the 2 seals have to be on the same direction with the spring faced to the prop

Comment

W o w - you got a quick (and accurate) answer. Gotta love this forum.

Comment

Well all freakin right, thanks, and the show goes on

Comment

parts breakdown shows how they should be placed

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
            Replacing these seals and my POS yam manual says nothing about the direction of the seals. The 2 seals that came out face the same direction, which I don't believe to be correct. Anyone ?
            What is the model of your motor. There was more than one for 1994.

If I was a betting man I would bet this is what your SM shows:

And I would agree with you that Yam manuals are POS.
            Last edited by boscoe99; 03-19-2016, 05:36 PM.

Comment

My manual wasn't even that good. Springs out both prop and drive. Can't believe how easy this repair was. Didn't pull the carrier just the seals. Basic hand tools, watched the guy on youtube. took a few hours and $60 worth of parts

Comment

As Rod has said before.
                Hope you were able to clean out the seal bore without getting junk down in the case and hope you did not scar the shaft sealing surface while doing this

Comment

Everything was clean and easy . Propshaft bore was spotless. Driveshaft seal carrier needed to be cleaned up but easy enough to clean. Any DIYer can handle this.

Comment

Just an FYI, my Yamaha shop manual does show the seal position (same as yours goes together). Guess some manuals do, some don't...

Also, my one upper seal drive shaft seal failed (replaced both seals). Its apparently not uncommon for these to wear out. I didn't have ANY leakage, but it was highly recommended by my dealer to change them out(prior to inspection). Sure enough, one had failed (under the WP). And my engine is a whole lot newer than yours..

Did you pressure test (no oil in the unit)?
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-20-2016, 06:43 AM.
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

All my seals were leaking badly, my oil looked like milk. Had I known it was this simple of a repair I would have done it sooner. It's holding tight now. Gonna flush it a couple of times, and hope I didn't wait too long

Comment

did you seat the seals to the correct depth in the bore ?

Comment

mmm, got me thinking now. For sure the driveshaft carrier seals were bottomed out. propshaft I bottomed those out as well. That wrong? I get to do it again ?

I can see I'm a little deep on the propshaft, the seal mark on the shaft is showing. Holds air, shaft turns smooth. I'll be pulling and draining when I leave town in a month, can't possibly be any worst than what I had going on.

Those prop seals pulled out real easy, won't even have to drop the lower. Thanks for the info
                          Last edited by scofflaw; 03-20-2016, 11:24 AM.

Comment

5 4 3 2 1 DESTRUCTO .

the drive shaft seals CANNOT be bottomed out.
                            well they can but then the oil passage that lubricates the upper shaft bearing is closed off leading to DESTRUCTO '

never tried bottoming out the propshaft seals, I always use the correct tool or rest them to the previously recorded depth.

I will never forget the first v6 Yamaha seal job.
                            had the correct even if poorly translated manual and followed the disassembly and reassembly instructions all the way to the seal install on the prop shaft carrier.

exact words from the SM, install the propshaft seals to the previously recorded depth.
                            yet the disassembly instructions made no mention of recording the depth.

so that my friends is why I disassemble,use the CORRECT tools and reassemble things.
                            lessens the chance of failure.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                              5 4 3 2 1 DESTRUCTO .

the drive shaft seals CANNOT be bottomed out.
                              well they can but then the oil passage that lubricates the upper shaft bearing is closed off leading to DESTRUCTO '

never tried bottoming out the propshaft seals, I always use the correct tool or rest them to the previously recorded depth.

I will never forget the first v6 Yamaha seal job.
                              had the correct even if poorly translated manual and followed the disassembly and reassembly instructions all the way to the seal install on the prop shaft carrier.

exact words from the SM, install the propshaft seals to the previously recorded depth.
                              yet the disassembly instructions made no mention of recording the depth.

so that my friends is why I disassemble,use the CORRECT tools and reassemble things.
                              lessens the chance of failure.
                              Thanks for the tip, I'll redo them tomm. Might as well just toss this SM in the canal at the same time. No mention of that.
                              Don't need no stinken depth gauge, I can see where they were.

Comment

Working...
                              X