No announcement yet.

1999 OX66 250 Life expectancy ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 2001 SX150TXRZ OX66 that has less than 1,500 hrs on her. Recently had my first overheat problem at high rpm. Please see the attached link to post.
    http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...e-th26656.html
    I did a tear down and cleaning of the deposits that caused the overheat problem.
    If I were you, I'd first pull the t-stats and look for excessive deposits, test ride the boat at high rpm for a good ten minutes to see if overheats. If any, and you decide to buy the boat/motor you may wish to pull at least the head covers, to further check. If afterwards, you run into a high rpm overheat, pull the heads.
    Where I found the most deposits were within the exhaust plate, below the powerhead and within the heads themselves (very little in the block). There are small orifices in the exhaust plate that allow the block to drain. These were completely blocked.
    Since the tear down/cleaning my Yammy has never ran better, even though the piston diameters are slightly out of limits (according to Yamaha). I flush using a tub, then with muffs both with fresh water.
    Now, I only have 15 hrs since the cleaning, and expect to get at least another 1,000 hrs with no problems (my opinion. I feel very comfortable with the reliability of this motor). This forum is excellent to assist you with any problems that may come about.

Good luck, and happy boating!
    Chuck,
    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Working...
    X