1999 OX66 250 Life expectancy ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 OX66 250 Life expectancy ???

What would you expect the life expectancy of a 1999 250 hp Yamaha Salt Water Series to be... .Running hours used in salt water ?? I'm looking at a boat with an ox66 250 with a 1000 hours ... any thoughts ? I thought it might be at the end of it's life ... ??????

mostly depends on the maint and repairs.
    was it done?
    was it done correctly?

Comment

serviced

it is supposed to be well serviced by Yamaha Tech yearly ... what ever that really means ... if it was, what do you think would be a life expectancy... I realize you do not have a crystal ball.... I was under the impression that 1000 hours was about it for any outboard... ( with the exception of the old Ficht motors !!)

Comment

Plenty still running with twice those hours, also plenty in the scrap bin with half those hours, engine life is impossible to estimate, most motors never wear out, something else kills them long before that, like neglect, rust/corrosion, a dud water pump or forgetting to mix oil in the fuel.

Comment

Check compression for starters. I you buy the boat be sure to service the oiling system. Remove tank, flush, replace filter, adjust linkage. spend a couple hours searching here to get all the maintenance procedures down.
          1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
          1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Besides the above,

Flushing after use is very critical...

I'd ask about that AND if possible, pull the thermostat and look inside the block/cooling system. Pitting, crappy thermostat will give you a good idea of the internals..

If its really crappy, walk away or be prepared to at least pull heads, etc, down the road.... Major pitting in the block, run....
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

the 250 !!!!!!!

Originally posted by ttles714 View Post
              it is supposed to be well serviced by Yamaha Tech yearly ... what ever that really means ... if it was, what do you think would be a life expectancy... I realize you do not have a crystal ball.... I was under the impression that 1000 hours was about it for any outboard... ( with the exception of the old Ficht motors !!)
              if it wasn't run to death 2000 hrs easily those engines are like the ole 7.3 powerstroke they take abuse and keep on running I have a ox66 250 on a 21 cape horn great engine and is good on fuel

Comment

the 250 !!!!!!!

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                Plenty still running with twice those hours, also plenty in the scrap bin with half those hours, engine life is impossible to estimate, most motors never wear out, something else kills them long before that, like neglect, rust/corrosion, a dud water pump or forgetting to mix oil in the fuel.
                this guy is so right !!!!!!

Comment

repowered one of my crabbers march of 20015,his old 2010 2 stroke 150 had 5200 hours on it, was still running but #2 wristpin was very loose.

Comment

What is a wrist pin?

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    repowered one of my crabbers march of 20015,his old 2010 2 stroke 150 had 5200 hours on it, was still running but #2 wristpin was very loose.
                    Curious as I have an F150...

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      Curious as I have an F150...
                      The connecting rod small end pin that attaches the piston to the connecting rod. Gudgeon pin in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gudgeon_pin

Comment

Rodbolt question

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                        I wonder if Rodbolt knows whether this crabber ever had timing belt replaced in this motor? Got his money out of that one....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          I wonder if Rodbolt knows whether this crabber ever had timing belt replaced in this motor? Got his money out of that one....
                          If it was a 2 stroke I would bet it was never done and never will be done

Comment

I had a 1989 175 , do not remember model number , over 5000, hrs , I was single and fished or hunted out of that boat almost every day , sold it running ,but oil would only fill by using emergency switch, if I knew then what I know now ( thanks to you guys ) that would of been fixed

Comment

Hah! Totally missed the 2 stroke description. Never Mind!!

Comment

Working...
                              X