No announcement yet.

Wire cut on engine, Do I need it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F150īs outside US donīt use balancers. At least 1st series (A) of F150 in EU.

Is that really necessary for you in US!?

With balancer seems that motor works smooth / more balanced (really? can be such a diference?) but the risk of damage the power plant using balancers seems to be high. But heard by you guys that it will make some noise way before it fail how ever must be very unpleasant.

One of my buddys have a 2007 F150 and seems smooth/balanced to me.

On that motor what is NOT REALLY smooth is every time motor is engaged (At least on my buddy motor) the sound of engage is scary. Looks like something will broke on the gearbox at any time.

Is that "normal" on that motor?

Not comparing oranges with apples but my F40 or F100 are smooth when engaged.

Comment

Some folks over here have removed their balancers and say they cannot feel any difference.

Regarding the gear shift clunk, Yamaha now offers a propeller that uses what they call an SDS hub. SDS for Shift Dampening System. Folks report it really makes a difference when shifting into gear.

The quieter the motor, and the bigger the motor and the bigger the propeller, the greater will be the clunking sound.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        There was no recall on the balancer. It has been updated four times however. Always replaced under warranty or a YES contract if it started to whine. In some cases Yamaha paid for replacement even if the warranty or YES contract had expired.

The balancer itself has few if any markings on it. From the outside I don't think anyone can tell what configuration it is.

If the latest balancer is not on the motor that would be the first thing that I would do. Cheap insurance.
        Yes it was whining on idle so I replaced it myself with the lastest version 4 I believe with the updated oil gallery?? I'm not sure of the change, i'm sure you guys would know. It was not that hard to swap. The old gears in the old balancer looked fine on inspection but was producing the whine. So as you said it's cheap insurance.

I'm slowing going through this motor with a fine tooth comb before I install it onto my boat. I'm doing the thermastat next as cheap insurance. Think I should scan it with that ebay YDS software? Its that worth a darn?

Comment

Originally posted by NW Drifter View Post
          Think I should scan it with that ebay YDS software? Its that worth a darn?
          I just bought the hardware etc for my 06 engine from here:
          Jetski diagnostics , Seadoo BUDS

It wasn't expensive at all but I haven't installed it yet in the lap top (nor tested it)...

Its under the Yamaha PWC section on the left. (It was recommended from this site)..
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-13-2016, 08:14 AM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I don't know of a way to tell the difference between the -03 and the latest -04 balancer.

they do tend to give many hours notice before failing if the operator listens or knows what to listen for.

I have 3 to do aat the shop this week.

one is failing and as long as no teeth have shed its an hour operation.

one has failed,did it in the shop lot, and shed all the nylon teeth and will require the oil pan,strainer and pressure control valve cleaning then pray its not in the crankshaft bearings or cam oiling passages.

the other is the mate to the failed one,we don't think its has failed yet,no noise.
            that could mean its still ok or it has long failed.

Comment

Working...
            X