Wire cut on engine, Do I need it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire cut on engine, Do I need it?

So I bought this Yamaha 2007 f150 used and it seems to run good but I don't have it on my boat yet. Currently going through it and doing basic maintance. I notice this wire cut right below the fly wheel on the starboard side. It looks like it goes to a sensor going into the motor.

I hope the seller didn't cut this on purpose..... See photo below

What does it do?
    Attached Files

Engine temperature sensor?

Comment

Can anyone take a picture of theirs because I'm not exactly sure what to connect. The plug in the picture has 2 cut wires but the sensor only has 1 black wires.

Comment

The sensor has two wires. Both are black/yellow.

Not a photo but here is an illustration.

Comment

Thanks, after I dug into the insulating sleeve on the sensor side I did find a 2nd wire. Seems like maybe it got cut by something accidently? Hopefully not on purpose by the former owner.

Is that a temp sensor?

Any reason to cut that wire?

Comment

I'll shoot a pic later once the sun comes up... (2006 F150).

I'll make sure I get the sensor too it connects to.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by NW Drifter View Post
              Thanks, after I dug into the insulating sleeve on the sensor side I did find a 2nd wire. Seems like maybe it got cut by something accidently? Hopefully not on purpose by the former owner.

Is that a temp sensor?

Any reason to cut that wire?
              Maybe to stop an alarm from coming in, but seems ECU would see it as a failure and log it

Comment

the ECU will indeed see the sensor as an open circuit and default the temp.
                motor wont run right but it will run.

most the time I see the coolent temp sensor wire cut on an F150, is the last set of skinners failed to place the wire correctly in the wire lock and the flywheel gets it.

Comment

It is the engine temp sensor, part #13:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...203/parts.html

The wire is somewhat long but as mentioned, is set in a clip/loom.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-11-2016, 09:49 AM.
                  Scott

Comment

and if the camera had panned further left in the last pic you would see a white plastic clip that the excess wire should have been doubled over and inserted into that clip.

if not done correctly the flywheel eats it.

Comment

There's some other wires there, and the temp sensor wire was mixed in there, really not easily seen with all the other wires(at least with a camera)..

That's why I took two pic's, to show the OP where it went to.

And yes, there is a clip for that wire (as noted the wire is somewhat long and was set in there)
                      Scott

Comment

Thank you Townsend. That Helps. I guess my flywheel must have cut it before I bought the motor. The seller told me he replaced the balancer and he didn't so that made me lose my faith in him.

I was able to reconnect it and route it through that white clip twice. Hope it stays out of the flywheel now. I trust it should.

I hope i hasn't caused any damage to the engine not having that sensor.

Comment

Thank you Townsend. That Helps. I guess my flywheel must have cut it before I bought the motor. The seller told me he replaced the balancer and he didn't so that made me lose my faith in him.

I was able to reconnect it and route it through that white clip twice. Hope it stays out of the flywheel now. I trust it should.

How do you know the balancer was not replaced?

Comment

No problem BUT, if the PO was talking about the MAIN ENGINE BALANCER, its located way forward of that harness, just behind the fuel filter (and isn't even touched with the new balancer swap).

Perhaps the belt tensioner??? That's right there...

Note, I would check with Yamaha about that main balancer. It had been recalled and I believe several updates do to it. I believe the bad balancers have issues with the teeth and can cause major damage if they let go.

Its like two small, very heavy duty crankshafts geared to the crank..

I watched them swap mine out for a newer version.
                            Scott

Comment

There was no recall on the balancer. It has been updated four times however. Always replaced under warranty or a YES contract if it started to whine. In some cases Yamaha paid for replacement even if the warranty or YES contract had expired.

The balancer itself has few if any markings on it. From the outside I don't think anyone can tell what configuration it is.

If the latest balancer is not on the motor that would be the first thing that I would do. Cheap insurance.

Comment

Working...
                              X